Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

Switching to milk ?

I FF ike and figured i'd start gradually adding milk to ike's formula soon.  My question is did yall continue to heat up the bottle?

Re: Switching to milk ?

• Options
    no, but after aidan i decided to wean off the heating up earlier with sawyer. its a PITA to heat up bottles at a year old, imo. so i would in your situation bc you want him to be used to milk before you get rid of the warmness, kwim?
  • Options
    I use the microwave (i know i know let the flames begin if i were on another board, lol) and i've been slowly decreasing the warm up time by 5 seconds every week, so maybe by the time he gets to a year old he won't have to worry about it??
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I iz a bad mommy ... because I never heated up Jack's bottle.  Thus, making cold milk a non-issue  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Options
    I never heated his bottles up so this may not even matter, but when we switched he got the milk straight from the fridge and never had a problem with it. 
  • Options

imageibfloridagirl:
    I use the microwave (i know i know let the flames begin if i were on another board, lol) 

Ha ha, I'd also be going to hell with flames with you on the other board for my trusty ol' microwave too! I tried the bottle warmer and it was a PITA. But sorry, I'm no help with milk. C will have his button and pricey formula till he's probably about 18 months.

• Options

When we switched from EBF to FF about 2 months ago, we started weening DS off of "warm bottles."  He wont take bottles straight out of the fridge, but will take bottles we mix with "room temp. water" and sometimes,  a bit cooler than that. 

With adding "cow's" milk (I'm assuming?) I'd say just do whatever Ike will accept temperature wise.....and continue to gradually make it cooler as you've been doing.  No reason to change it with "milk" (by that I mean - going to the extreme......COLD - if he's not drinking cold right now).

ETA: I forgot to add, If he'll accept milk right out of the fridge.....MORE POWER TO YOU!!  I'm jealous!  Planning ahead for room temp bottles is a PITA!
  • Options
    I switched both of my kids cold turkey. They went straight from warm formula bottles to cold milk cups. 
  • Options
    Leah drank room temp formula and now is drinking cold milk and has no problem with it.  But don't tell my mom, lol.  She warmed up Leah's milk at her house and yelled at me that I better not give her cold milk.
  • Options

imageMrsTotty:
    I iz a bad mommy ... because I never heated up Jack's bottle.  Thus, making cold milk a non-issue  :)

I'm a bad mommy too (but we already knew that).  I heated the breast milk, but we did room temp formula.  I gave her cold milk and she didn't like it at first, but once she realized that that's all that was going to be offered she took to it ;-)

• Options

DS would only take bottles warmed up. I used the microwave too after I melted a bottle using warm water on the stove, basically the bottle tipped over in the pot and I'm sure you can guess the rest. The daycare also used the microwave and one teacher was convinced DS needed the bottle extra warm to would sneak over and warm it up when the other teacher wasn't looking. It took and extra long time to wean him off the warm bottles because of this.

I had a crabby baby for about a week, but I just started giving him the bottle right out of the fridge with the formula a week before I started adding milk, but still warmed the nighttime bottle. If he absolutly wasn't drinking I warmed it for 5 seconds and that was usually enough to to convince him that it was warm because he would watch me put it in the microwave and hear the beep. By the time he was on half milk half formula we were doing straight out of the fridge bottles and it was so much easier.

• Options
    imagekljs1978:

DS would only take bottles warmed up. I used the microwave too after I melted a bottle using warm water on the stove, basically the bottle tipped over in the pot and I'm sure you can guess the rest. The daycare also used the microwave and one teacher was convinced DS needed the bottle extra warm to would sneak over and warm it up when the other teacher wasn't looking. It took and extra long time to wean him off the warm bottles because of this.

I had a crabby baby for about a week, but I just started giving him the bottle right out of the fridge with the formula a week before I started adding milk, but still warmed the nighttime bottle. If he absolutly wasn't drinking I warmed it for 5 seconds and that was usually enough to to convince him that it was warm because he would watch me put it in the microwave and hear the beep. By the time he was on half milk half formula we were doing straight out of the fridge bottles and it was so much easier.

Thx! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"