Special Needs
Options

XP: Hip dysplasia

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate board to ask this question on, but I thought I would try....DD was frank breech and delivered via c/s. ?Because of this, she has been checked by 3 different pedis 6 different times for hip dysplasia. ?Every time, the pedis have said that they don't feel the telltale "clicks" that would indicate that she has a hip issue. ?However, they wanted us to have a u/s done as a precautionary measure. ?Yesterday was the u/s and today I got a call from one of the pedis saying that one of DD's hips is a bit "shallow". ?Our next step is to see a pediatric orthopedist. ?We're doing this on Sept. 16. ?We've been doing some reading and, from what I can tell, it looks like DD will probably be in a brace for several weeks. ?Does anyone have any experience with this? ?TIA.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: Hip dysplasia

• Options
    Hi there. I was coming on here to ask a similar question. My son is 16 months old, and late to walk. We had an X-ray tonight, and of course I had to look at the CD images that they gave us. I am not an expert, but his hip (right) is clearly different than his left. I then put on my Dr. Google coat, and found identical images of children with Hip Displasya. I am wondering what the treatment would be for a child who is older with this condition.
  • Options

My friend was teh same way, Frank breec,/ C/S, no clicks and a shallow hip and they saw the ortho. The ortho said that her DD was so mild they did not do the brace, they double diapered, but she said that if she had needed the brace it would have only been for like 6 wks.

Her DD is now 8 and 1/2 month old and is walking behind he walikng toys w/ no problems.

the other thing to watch is torticollis (the neck stays to one side - happens w/ breech kids sometimes) her DD had a mild case, they watched it and they just did some home things to help it along at home (like putting her toys to the one side of her to make her need to turn her head/neck to the one side)  and never needed the P.T.

good luck!

imageimage
    Max 4-08-08 and Michael 2-03-91 (19 years olds)
    image Both boys were born w/ hirschsprung's disease, you find yourself facing this dx, please feel free to ask me any questions.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Addslove from the Cincinnati Board's daughter just had the surgery. If you go to the Cincinnati board and page back about 3 pages, you should see a post about being home from the hospital. You might want to page her to ask her specific questions.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Katie: 1/16/08 2lbs. 15oz.
    Abby & Emily: 12/31/10 6lbs. 2oz. & 5lbs. 7oz.
  • Options
    One of my twins was evaluated by a ped. orthopedic surgeon after a standard ultrasound was done at 9 weeks because she was delivered breech (vaginally).  As it turned out, everyhting was fine, and the surgeon said he sees a ton of patients for this problem, but very few have the condition.  Mostly your pediatrician just playing it safe by making the referral.  Good luck, though! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Mom to Megan(5), Bridget(4), Tessa and Annie (2) and Mary (brand new)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"