Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Anyone not do sleep training?

We tried it a few months ago and it worked for a short while, but then DD went back to falling asleep while nursing and if she didn't wake when I put her down in her crib I didn't wake her just so she could go back to sleep on her own.  I just didn't see the point.  However, now she is waking during the night a lot (teething and has a cold) and she will not go back to sleep on her own.  I've spent several nights sitting up in the chair in her room because she wakes when I put her down. I know being sick and teething throws any normal routine out the window and she needs extra cuddles right now, but I'm wondering if not sticking with sleep training was a bad idea. Thoughts?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone not do sleep training?

• Options

I have never done sleep training.  I broke all the "rules" (nursed or rocked to sleep, kept her in bed with me, etc) and she was still sleeping thru the night by about 5 months.  She got sick when she was around 10 months old (when were on vacation of course!) and during that week I held her most nights so she could sleep.  Once she was well again, she went back to her normal routine of bottle before bed (I stopped nursing at 8 months).

Now, at almost a year, she will get fussy when it's nap or bedtime.  All I do is rock her a few minutes and put her down awake in her bed.  Sometimes she plays for 10-15 minutes but she always falls asleep on her own.

I kinda miss the cuddling to sleep to be honest.

• Options
    Maybe it is just because of being sick and when she feels better she will go back to her normal routine. This wasn't the case for us and we have had to start sleep training all over again but I'm sure it is possible!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I keep telling myself it's because of the cold and she'll go back to her routine when she is better.  When she is well she falls asleep nursing and stays alseep when I put her down.  If she does wake, she grabs my hand and holds it next to her face until she goes back to sleep (usually only a couple of mins), which I don't mind but when she started doing it I started to wonder if I was doing her a diservice by not letting her fall asleep on her own in her crib.  I have a friend watching her this weekend because I am in a wedding so I'm not sure how bedtime will go for her!
  • Options
    We never did any sleep training.  When LO is having a rough night due to teething, illness, whatever, we tend to bring him into our bed so that everyone gets a good night's sleep.  He starts fussing, and we just soothe him a little and back to sleep he goes.  Not for everyone, but it's worked for us and now at almost a year he STTN almost every night.  If he does wake up, it's not until 4 or 5 in the morning and it's because by that time he's starving, so we feed him and he goes back to sleep.  I don't know too much about sleep training, but I don't think it would be a good solution to something like waking due to teething, would it?  I mean, do you really want to train your baby to put themself back to sleep when they really need some help?

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We don't do sleep training because I don't think it's fair to expect my 11 month old to understand that she has to learn to put herself to sleep on nights that I think she feels fine, but when I think she might be teething or sick, then she gets cuddles.  I just don't think that's consistent enough for her.  In our case DD used to go to sleep by herself after nursing.  She hit a horrible teething spell (6 teeth in 4 weeks) and then she had to be rocked to sleep for a couple of months afterwards.  She's recently let us know that she doesn't want to be rocked to sleep anymore and she now falls asleep on her own.  
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.  You are makng me feel better.  I tried the sleep training months ago because I kept reading and being told it was the best thing to do, but it just never felt right to me to wake her up after she fell asleep nursing just so she could learn to put herself to sleep.  I know this rough patch will pass, but because it's been such a bad 2 weeks my husband brought up the sleep training again and I started second guessing my instict, which is to let her fall asleep with me.  When she's feeling well she sleeps through the night so hopefully after she recovers she'll be back to that.
  • Options
    We did not sleep train, but we did not ever bed share or anything either.  The white noise machine has been our electronic savior.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"