Baby Names
Options

spelling of the name we like

since we recently found out some bad news about an ex, we had to change our girl name... So we now think we like Gwen, Gwyn, Gwenhwyfar, or Guenevere or a little different Quin? WDYT?

Re: spelling of the name we like

• Options
    I think Gwen is just fine the way it is. It is pretty and underused as well.
  • Options

Gwen - Yes

Gwyn -  No

Gwenhwyfar - Seriously??  Absolutely not. 

Quin - Your DD's name will forever be pronounced "Quinn"

Take the high road and use the nice, normal spelling.  Please.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Holy effing Jesus, Gwenhwyfar? Did you accidentally lean on the keyboard while typing this?

Please, no, no, no, no, NO

I'm sorry, but that is so incredibly horrible

Guinevere, Gwen or Gwendolyn only. Quinn is nice too, just please spell it correctly

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

i seriously just laughed and laughed at gwenhwyfar. you're kidding right?!? how on earth is that even pronounced. 

stick with gwen please. pretty pretty please. 

• Options
    I think Gwen is by far the best.  Not sure I understand Gwenhwyfar... I like Gwendolyn though.
  • Options

How about Gwendalajara? 

:)

• Options
    I vote Gwenhwyfar, nn Hwyfar.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

I laughed at Gwenhyfar too but it was on list... It's pronouced just like Guenevere. We both kinda like Guenevere for the legal name but how would you spell Gwen or Guen as the nickname?

Quinn is great too but i'm not sure...

• Options
    imageredhead712771:

I laughed at Gwenhyfar too but it was on list... It's pronouced just like Guenevere. We both kinda like Guenevere for the legal name but how would you spell Gwen or Guen as the nickname?

Quinn is great too but i'm not sure...

Interesting!  I've never seen that spelling before.  I knew a girl named Guenevere, and she went by "Guen," and spelled it like that too.  I would either just name her "Gwen," or if you really like Guenevere, go with that and her nickname can be Guen. 

• Options

Gwenhwyfar is Welsh, and it is pronounced like GWEN hi var.

Honestly I am usually for Gaelic and Welsh names, but not this one.

• Options
    I don't care what list it is on it is horrendous!
  • Options

Guinevere is the most common spelling- I'd much prefer that to any of those others.

ditto

• Options
    Gwenhwyfar  WTF?
  • Options
    What about Gwendolyn, nn Gwen?
  • Options
    imagecmeon_the_water:

Guinevere is the most common spelling- I'd much prefer that to any of those others.

This 

• Options
    imagecmeon_the_water:

This 

• Options
    Stick with Guinevere.  Unless your native language is Gaelic it's a little odd to use the Gaelic spelling - not to mention confusing!  Even in Ireland, people very VERY rarely use the Gaelic spelling of their names.
  • Options
    Gwen or Gweneth are by far better than any of the other options.
  • Options
    imageabba916:
    imagecmeon_the_water:

This?

I agree.?

• Options

imagehereandthere119:
    Stick with Guinevere.  Unless your native language is Gaelic it's a little odd to use the Gaelic spelling - not to mention confusing!  Even in Ireland, people very VERY rarely use the Gaelic spelling of their names.

It's Welsh, not Gaelic. There is a difference!

• Options
    I vote plain Gwen.
  • Options
    imagecarolinag:

i seriously just laughed and laughed at gwenhwyfar. you're kidding right?!? how on earth is that even pronounced. 

Oh my gosh, me too!!! It looks like something out of LOTR.

• Options
    Gwen or Gwenyth.  Both are pretty and can stand on their own (think: Gwen Stefani and Gwenyth Paltrow). Ick Not a GP fan, but her name is nice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagekryssy:

Gwen - Yes

Gwyn -  No

Gwenhwyfar - Seriously??  Absolutely not. 

Quin - Your DD's name will forever be pronounced "Quinn"

Take the high road and use the nice, normal spelling.  Please.

this.

• Options
    I would go with Gwen.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageandrea922:

imagehereandthere119:

It's Welsh, not Gaelic. There is a difference!

Gaelic is the native language spoken by people in Wales.  If you go to the very northern portion of Wales you'll still find people who speak the language, but fewer all the time.  I spent some time studying near there, so I became fairly familiar with pronunciations.  I never met a person who spelled there name in the old way - always in modern English.

• Options

Woops - just to be accurate - Gaelic is spoken in Ireland, Wales and Scotland.  Sometimes you'll see Gaelic names listed with Irish baby names, sometimes with Welsh baby names, sometimes Irish/Welsh.  Regardless, they're all Gaelic. 

One of my friends majored in Irish History and is super sensitive about people messing up the historical and cultural facts!   Out of appreciation for her I correct myself :-) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"