Baby Names

How do you pronounce Declan?

Is it Dee-clan, Day-clan or some other variation that I'm not considering?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do you pronounce Declan?

• imageCapeCodBride28:
    Dec-lan

Me too?

• Loading the player...
  • Deck - lan
    dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • Deck Lan (like Land without the d) and I emphasize the Deck part.
  • Thanks, everyone. I was way off :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Deh-clin

I don't see Day or Dee at all when I look at it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Joe and Ashley ~ June 16, 2007 ~ Olivia Rae ~ May 12, 2008 ~ 9:06 pm ~ 8lbs 4oz ~ 20.5 inches ~ Miscarriage of twins ~ April 16, 2009 at 6 weeks. ~ Surprise BFP 6/23/09 13DPO ~ Eleanor Rose ~ February 18, 2010 ~ 6lbs 15oz ~ 20 inches ~ Caroline Ruth ~ February 19, 2013 ~ 6lbs 12 oz ~ 19 1/4 inches

Our family is complete!

• I have always looked at this name as Dee-Clan. But I have never heard it spoken.

• Dee-clin

Think of the name Deacon. Similar pronunciation.

My Heart!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • deck - lan

eta: anyone pronouncing it Dee - clan is wrong. it's an irish (gaelic) name, and isn't pronounced with a long E 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemsmarsh:

Dee-clin

this is wrong.  Deck-lynn

• imagemsmarsh:

Dee-clin

Yeah, no. This is not correct. It is a gaelic name and it is Deck-lyn

• I think it's amusing that people will tell you you're "wrong" to want to pronounce a name in a different way, but naming your kid something really different is just fine.  Why can't they say Dee-clan if they want to?  I've never seen or heard the name IRL, though.  Shawn is technically wrong for Sean, but do you tell those parents they're wrong?
  • imageOctoberCAPA:
    I think it's amusing that people will tell you you're "wrong" to want to pronounce a name in a different way, but naming your kid something really different is just fine.  Why can't they say Dee-clan if they want to?  I've never seen or heard the name IRL, though.  Shawn is technically wrong for Sean, but do you tell those parents they're wrong?

The OP asked how it is pronounced. The correct, and only way I have ever heard it pronounced, is Deck-lan. If someone wants to say Dee-clan then sure, they can, but I can guarantee most people will think after they walk away that those poor parents didn't know to say their childs name correctly. There are names with multiple 'correct' pronounciations, mine is one of them. Declan is not.

• herohero member

imageOctoberCAPA:
    I think it's amusing that people will tell you you're "wrong" to want to pronounce a name in a different way, but naming your kid something really different is just fine.  Why can't they say Dee-clan if they want to?  I've never seen or heard the name IRL, though.  Shawn is technically wrong for Sean, but do you tell those parents they're wrong?

Shawn and Sean are pronounced the same and are both perfect fine spellings of the same name. Declan only has one correct pronunciation.

<Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers>
  • imageandrea922:

imageOctoberCAPA:

The OP asked how it is pronounced. The correct, and only way I have ever heard it pronounced, is Deck-lan. If someone wants to say Dee-clan then sure, they can, but I can guarantee most people will think after they walk away that those poor parents didn't know to say their childs name correctly. There are names with multiple 'correct' pronounciations, mine is one of them. Declan is not.

The only little boy I know with this name pronounces it Dee-clin. I guess his parents are sorry SOB's Wink Or maybe just Midwestern hillbillies!

My Heart!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • If I saw this name on paper, I would pronounce it Deck-lan.
  • Deck-len

Wife. MoM {1G + BBG triplets}. DIY'er. Quilter. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"