3rd Trimester
Options

Breastfeeding = No Sleeping on Stomach?

Please say it ain't so.

One of the things I was MOST looking forward to most after dropping this kid was regaining the ability to sleep on my beloved stomach.  I am NOT a natural side sleeper. The back is tolerable, but oh how I miss sleeping on my tummy.  I was planning on throwing myself on my bed, face down and making snow angels in my sheets in celebration.

Then a friend (also a new mom) told me she hasn't been able to sleep on her stomach yet after 3 months because of breastfeeding and having her boobs too full, or engorged, or it just being generally uncomfortable.

Case by case situation, or is this the norm?

Re: Breastfeeding = No Sleeping on Stomach?

• Options
    I hope not!!! I'm right with you! I need MY tummy time! lol
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh I hope that isn't true....
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never had a problem with DD and mine were so sore.
  • Options

I can only hope it's case by case!  I miss sleeping on my stomach too. 

::anxiously awaits a 2nd timer's response::

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Please say it aint so. Crying  I was so looking forward to sleeping on my stomach.
  • Options
    I EP'd for my DD and had no problems sleeping on my belly, though it took me a couple weeks to even be comfortable doing it.  I had this crazy phantom belly fear that I'd smush something if I slept on my stomach.  Obviously I'm weird! Stick out tongue
  • Options
    wasnt the norm for me, I was able to sleep on my stomach. if you get full, you are getting up to nurse or pump anyway. I just slept in a nursing bra, but I never encountered that problem. I nursed for  5 months
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just like pregnancy, each woman is different. You won't know till you try.
  • Options
    I am sure a little discomfort in the boob region will not stop me from sleeping on my tummy! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageEnglishMajor03:
    I EP'd for my DD and had no problems sleeping on my belly, though it took me a couple weeks to even be comfortable doing it.  I had this crazy phantom belly fear that I'd smush something if I slept on my stomach.  Obviously I'm weird! Stick out tongue

OMG "Phantom belly fear" that's hilarious!!  I can totally see this happening to me. But it's good to hear that you had no physical problems sleeping on your stomach. I was about to *DIE* at the thought of having to go any longer post-pregnancy sleeping like CRAP. I pray breastfeeding won't give me Dolly Parton boobs to impede the process. :-)

• Options
    Oh I hope not - I am so going to snuggle into that fitted sheet!!  You make snow angels - I sleep in a position like I'm a rock climber scaling a mountain!!
  • Options
    I was OK with DS.  Maybe not the first few days, but I had a c-section anyways.  My engorgement wasn't too bad and after the first couple of days I was totally fine. GL.
  • Options
    I breastfeed and I sleep on my stomach.  I guess it depends on whether it's comfortable for you.  And you may not be able to until after your supply has regulated.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I was never a big stomach sleeper anyway, but I distinctly remember not being able to in the first couple months.  It was SO uncomfortable.  I hope this is not the case for you!
  • Options

I pump and don't have a problem laying on my tummy.  You should only be truely engorged and in pain for maybe a week at most and then it should calm down, when I was engorged I could still lay on my tummy, just with my chest kind of slanted to keep off my boobs.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Case by case situation.  I breastfed my first son and I slept any way I wanted.  It was fantastic!
    Wyatt 3.21.07 Grant 8.29.09 Ross 9.21.11 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageiris427:
    I breastfeed and I sleep on my stomach.  I guess it depends on whether it's comfortable for you.  And you may not be able to until after your supply has regulated.

It took a few months for my supply to regulate, so until then sleeping on my stomach was pretty uncomfortable and I'd often wake up with soaked sheets. Now it's all good! 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    I was able to sleep on my stomach with DD #1 while breast feeding most of the time.  At times if I was too full or something It would be uncomfortable but I did it anyway it was more comfortable than any other position.
  • Options
    I nursed my kid for 5 months and never had an issue with sleeping on my stomach. Heck, I slept on my stomach the first night in the hospital after he was born. I couldn't get comfortable on my back and then I realized OH HEY.. I can lay on my stomach now! Big Smile
    my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

When my milk came in and my boobs hurt so bad I could not sleep on my stomach at all, especially before my milk regulated.  But now and for a couple of months I have been able to no problem.

If it does hurt just know its not forever.  I was so disappointed too when I couldn't cause I can only sleep comfortably on my stomach.

• Options
    Part of it is supply related.  When you are trying to dry up milk, part of the process is wearing tight fitting bras, sleeping on your stomach is providing the same compression.  Better to stay off the belly  if you have any supply issues, and at least until you are pretty well regulated.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"