Baby Names
Options

Emilia VS Amelia

Do you say them the same? I'm asking because I prefer one over the other, but I pronounce them differently.

How do you pronounce them?

Re: Emilia VS Amelia

• Options
    EE-melia and AH-melia
  • Options
    I pronounce it EH vs. AH.. but I don't know if that's right ;)
    CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageboxie:
    EE-melia and AH-melia

This

• Options
    Emm-elia vs Uh-melia
  • Options

imageboxie:
    EE-melia and AH-melia

me too

• Options
    Hmm. Never ocurred to me that people may pronounce it with a long E.
  • Options

imageLittleMamaB:

That surprises me too. I always figured Em like in Emily.. which is why people suggested the nn Emmy to me for Emilia when we were considering it.

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Options
    Em-eelia like in Emily.  Ah-meelia.  But you'd barely hear the difference if you only heard the name and didn't see it spelled.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Eh-ME-li-uh   VS.   Uh-ME-lya

And my initial thought of Emilia is as a Hispanic name, so that's how I pronounce it. I like them both. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I'm partial to Amelia (cuz that's DD's name)--pronounced Ah-melya (long e)

I'd pronounce the other E (long e) melya (with a long e)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Emelia

Pronunciation:
    a-may-lee-ah image
    Origin: Spanish

Amelia

Pronunciation:
    ah-mee-lee-ah image
    Origin: English
  • Options

I would be confused by Emilia.  I've never heard it or met anyone with that name.  I might say "eh-meel-ya" which would sound extremely close, if not identical, to "uh-meel-ya" depending on how carefully I was enunciating.  Or if the person was clearly Latina, I'd probably try to say it eh-muh-LEE-uh, like Emily but with a "leah" sound. 

I'd probably just be quiet and not say the name until I'd heard it pronounced.  I get intimidated by unfamiliar names and tend to just ignore them until I know what I'm doing.  :)

• Options
    imagebim38106:

imageLittleMamaB:

That surprises me too. I always figured Em like in Emily.. which is why people suggested the nn Emmy to me for Emilia when we were considering it.

Not that I had considered the name for myself, but I would say Eh vs. Ah. I totally shy away from names that might be mispronounced (this comes from my SD's name being Kaya [pronounced K-EYE-uh not KAY-uh] and she is now 7 and it drives her bonkers when people mispronounce it - and I haven't heard a single person pronounce it right on the first try in the three years that I've known her. I'm not sure her BM took that into consideration).

Which one do/did you prefer??

• Options
    I prefer Emilia.
  • Options
    I prefer Amelia
  • Options

imagebim38106:
    I pronounce it EH vs. AH.. but I don't know if that's right ;)

I agree....prefer Amelia better personally.

We chose Alayna and pp were suggesting I spell it Elena...not the same name/sound at all to me. 

• Options
    I say them the same way.
  • Options

I say Emilia- Emil (like Emily) Lea

and Amelia- Am e lia

~Kati~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    eh-melia vs ah-melia
  • Options
    When I really think about it the difference is just in the beginning - EH vs. AH. However, when just said quickly it's almost indecipherable. Both are pretty but I prefer Emilia.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagewannabmommy:
    eh-melia vs ah-melia

This...and just to give you something to think about.  Are you going to have a nickname because I like Ami better than Emme.

• Options
    Eemilia like Emily and Ahelia like Amy. I prefer Emilia.
  • Options
    imagejennicg27:

imagewannabmommy:
    eh-melia vs ah-melia

This...and just to give you something to think about.  Are you going to have a nickname because I like Ami better than Emme.

NN will be Mila (Me-la).

• Options

Emilia (pronounced Ehm as in Emily) and I like Em, Emmy as a NN

• Options
    to me they are the same
    2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I know a Spanish speaking person (from Mexico) named Emilia.  As someone posted earlier, Emilia is Spanish and pronounced eh-MAY-lee-uh.  Amelia is French and pronounced eh-MEE-lee-uh.  So the first syllable sound does not change, but the second syllable sound does change.

I think you can use Emmie, Amy, or Leah as nicknames for either name.  Emilia can be nicknamed May or Maylia because the second syllable is May.  

I think they're both great names - just choose the one with the pronunciation that you prefer!  May or Mee 

BTW - Amalia is also fun and pronounced eh- MAH lee-uh.  That could add Molly into the nickname mix!

• Options
    Definitely Amelia, then.  Emilia's nickname would be Mayla
  • Options
    My grandmother was Emilia (short e sound) and went by Emma.
  • Options

So funny. I was going to start the same exact thread.

FWIW-I'm leaning towards Amelia (ah-meel-ya) with Millie as her nickname (named after my grandmother, Mildred, but everyone called her Millie).

Momma to three boys: Henry - 4yo Alex - 18mo Jack - born 2/23/12 at 20w due to ruptured uterus (previa and accreta resulting in hysterectomy) He only lived here on Earth for an hour, but he will live in our hearts forever. m/c #1: sept '09, m/c #2: july '10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"