Boston Babies

9 Wks & Moving to Boston- Need OBGYN/Hospital Recs

Hi there,

I'm moving to Boston next week from California and I'm currently 9 weeks along. I'll be living in the metro west area and don't mind driving for a good OBGYN and hospital. Can anyone recommend their OBGYN and hospital?

I've done some research and know there's Mass General, Brigham & Women's & Beth Israel in Boston- does one have a better reputation than the others? In the suburbs, Newton-Wellesley Hospital seems like it has a great reputation. Can anyone tell me about any of these and your experience?

Also, are most of the OBGYN practices in Boston group practices so you see multiple doctors and not just one all the way through to L&D? I kind of like the idea of having one consistent doctor as that's what I currently have in California. That said, I'm open to anything as long as the doctors are good.

Sorry for all the questions...I'm just trying to figure everything out. Thanks so much for yor help!

Re: 9 Wks & Moving to Boston- Need OBGYN/Hospital Recs

• I ADORE by OB/GYN - Dr. Todd Shapiro at 1 Brookline Place. He delivers at Beth Israel (we had a great experience there, as well). You only see him all the way through your pregnancy, but whoever is on-call delivers that day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I used About Women by Women in Wellesley and was very happy with my experience. I delivered at Newton Wellesley, and their maternity ward is all very nice and new. The delivery room looks like a spa, including a jacuzzi tub!! And the nurses and staff were unbelievable!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I use Crown OB in Quincy.  They have many OB's in the office but you can decide if you want to see all, some or one.  My OB recommended I see as many doctors in the office as possible since he can't promise he will be on-call when I deliver.

They deliver at South Shore Hospital in Weymouth which may be a little bit of a drive for you.  I think it is worth it for the level III NICU.  That is something of great concern to me since I am having twins who may need the higher level of care.  From what the nurse told me there are only 2 other level III NICU's in MA (Newton-Wellesley is one I believe).

Good luck with the move!

• Thanks for the speedy responses!
  • I used Newton Wellesley OB/GYN and saw Dr. Heidi Angle and she is FABULOUS!!!  As it is a practice, there are several doctors and midwives working there and you could meet with a few of them, but I saw Dr. Angle for every single appointment with my son (born 7/16/09) and she was the one who delivered him.  The practice is located next to/in the hospital so I delivered at Newton Wellesley Hospital (as I did with DD) and it was a great experience.  The nursing staff is incredibly attentive and my OBs office was extremely effecient, always returning phone calls, in house u/s, convenient appts, etc.  I really couldn't have asked for a better experience.  I hope this helps some!  Good Luck with your pregnancy and with your move to Boston!
  • I use Newton Wellesley OB/GYN also but see Dr. Elaine Metcalf she is amazing! I agree with every thing the woman said before me. They delivered my first and are about to deliver my second. I had complications with my first the whole last trimester and the whole hospital staff was amazing. I had to go to the internal fetal medicine dept as well and they were great! I live over an hour away this time and I am traveling to them because I couldn't imagine giving birth anywhere else!

• We have Alex Quass at Mass General. They have a really big practice, but it never feels that big. Alex is fabulous - I have been a really nervous first time mom and he has been so patient with me, answering all my questions, letting me cry on his shoulder if I need to. The whole facilty is actually great - I had to go to the medical walk in unit when I got flu like symptoms at 19 weeks - the doctors there contacted Alex, and also consulted the infectious disease team to set up a treatment plan just in case I did test positive for H1N1 (luckily I didn't). All around just a great place.

• I love my OBGYN Ashley Ackerman at Commonwealth OBGYN at 1 Brookline Place.  They are really convenient to where I live and their office staff is marvelous.  It has been very easy setting up appointments and ultrasounds through them.  The practice is affiliated with Brigham and Women's which I have heard really positive things about.

Good luck with your search and move!

• I think Beth Israel has a Level III NICU as well - I'll be delivering at Mount Auburn, because that is where my insurance sends me (although I am okay with this- I'll be seeing the midwives at Mt. Auburn, and I am happy with this non-choice), and if they think you or your baby will need a Level III NICU, or if you are high risk in some way (like if you go on bedrest or have preterm labor), they transfer you to Beth Israel.
  • imagesweetyface77:
    I used Newton Wellesley OB/GYN and saw Dr. Heidi Angle and she is FABULOUS!!!  As it is a practice, there are several doctors and midwives working there and you could meet with a few of them, but I saw Dr. Angle for every single appointment with my son (born 7/16/09) and she was the one who delivered him.  The practice is located next to/in the hospital so I delivered at Newton Wellesley Hospital (as I did with DD) and it was a great experience.  The nursing staff is incredibly attentive and my OBs office was extremely effecient, always returning phone calls, in house u/s, convenient appts, etc.  I really couldn't have asked for a better experience.  I hope this helps some!  Good Luck with your pregnancy and with your move to Boston!

I love Dr Angle.... I saw Dr Konig but I was in and out of that place so many times I had to see Dr Angle too.. Everyone at the practice is great.  NWH is great and I will be going there for #2.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I am using the Mt. Auburn midwife team as well, though by choice.  It's the only birthing center in the area that offers water birth, and I love that they have LDR suites.  They have surgical suites on the same floor and have OBs on call in case a surgical intervention is needed.  They're opening a new center at Fresh Pond next month, and that will be run by just one midwife Tamara.  She's been great about returning calls and answering my questions, and she said the benefit here is that she will follow me all through the pregnancy and hopefully be able to deliver me, but can tap the other group of midwives if for any reason she can't.  We're very excited.
  • I highly recommend Newton-Wellesley.  I delivered DS there and will be delivering this baby there as well.  With DS I ended up with an emergency c/s and I was in good hands.  You also get a private room for both labor and recovery.  Unless your pregnancy is high-risk, I'd rather deliver in the burbs than in town -it can be tricky with traffic, parking, etc.  Good luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Remembering Christopher
  • Hi, I am using a midwife/ob team through Harvard Vanguard here in Boston. They use Brigham and Women's for delivery, but have their own offices. I've been in Boston for about 10 years now, and used a number of doctors and hospitals, and have been so impressed with Harvard Vanguard that I just switched all of my doctors over to their practice.

There is rarely any waiting, they are very nice, and very thorough. And I love to option of using a midwife! I'm high risk (I have lupus) and could not be happier with my choice so far. Our midwife spent an hour and a half with us at our first appointment (9 weeks), was very reassuring, and we got to hear the baby's heartbeat!

Whatever you decide, good luck!

• Hi!! If you don't mind driving, I would suggest Dr. Donald Monteiro in Melrose. He works out of Melrose Wakefield Hospital but has his own office down the street. He is FANTASTIC! Awesome bedside manners and very personable!!!! He looks like Bill Cosby. I will never have another OB/GYN unless he happens to retire. He works with 3 other doctors. They have their own little group. FANTASIC PEOPLE, you won't be disappointed!!
  • I vote the Bringham & Women's hospital. My OB was at one of the local Havard Vanguard Medical Associates partnered with them. I trust the Bringham for all my medical needs.
  • Hi there!  I use MGH for all of my medical care, but just chose the Brigham because it was just voted #1 in the US for OB/GYN in US News and World Report.  I think that's pretty impressive.  I also heard great things from a friend who delivered there.  GL!

7/2009 - Gonal-F cycle #2 with Ovidrel trigger and IUI #5 - BFP! Twin boys born at 38 weeks 3 days! 8 months later...spontaneous BFP! And twins again! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all the responses everyone, I appreciate it!
  • My OB was from Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates and she practiced at the Brigham & Women's Hospital. Great hospital to deliver! My doctor was good but she's in Quincy. Harvard Vanguards are all over Boston though. So, you can find one close to you. Just be sure to check what hospitals the OB is affiliated with.
  • Hi

I saw your posting about Mt Auburn.  Did you have a positive expereince there?  is there one or two midwives you liked best?   Any recommendations?  Thank you

• Hello,

I don't know if you found a doctor yet but I delivered at Emerson hospital in Concord MA.  Dr. Tim Hale...He was WONDERFUL!!!

Welcome to MASSACHUSETTS!!!

• My OB is Dr. Jacqueline Croopnick and I really like her.  She is affiliated with Beth Israel I believe.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"