High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

17p injections

My doctor has strongly recommended that I get the 17p injections since my last baby was a preemie.  I am terrified of needles and am already giving myself daily Lovenox injections.  I will not do these myself, but am wondering how bad they are.  Thanks in advance.

Re: 17p injections

• Options
    Piece of cake!  :) I give them to myself as well and the needle is 22gague so very small. I've had very few problems at all with them. (except they make me grumpy)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Oh Mrs. Reem - you have no idea how much anxiety you just relieved.  Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I get these weekly too and they're fine. It's even easier if you have someone to give you the shot.
  • Options
    I was also on Lovenox and the 17p injections.  I personally found the 17p much harder to give to myself than the lovenox.  With that said, I still did them everyweek.  I just sucked it up and did it.  Good Luck.
  • Options

I also hate getting shots, but I got the 17p injections from 19-36 weeks and they really weren't that bad.  Before I started them doctors warned me that the injection was oil-based and that it would hurt like heck and I would be bruised for a few days and then have to do it again just as I was healing.  By the time I had to start I was pretty nervous and expected the very worst experience! 

Well, my very first injection I didn't even feel.  Literally, it was nothing!  I was so happy.  Over the months there were some shots that were a piece of cake and some that hurt and some that made me lightheaded for about a minute.  (I would recommend always being near something you can lean on...a.k.a a bed, dresser, chair, etc.)  My husband gave me the shots (I could never have mustered the guts to do it to myself, I'm way too afraid of needles), and overall the experience was not bad and I will not hesitate to do the shots for my next pregnancy (I delivered two very early preemies, one 27-weeker and one 21-weeker, before I did the 17p injections for my third pregnancy as well as 4 months of strict bedrest). 

The best part about it is that there's a chance it will help you have a full-term baby!  My third baby was born two days overdue and it was a huge blessing. 

Don't worry about the shots, they're so worth it!

Good Luck!

• Options
    I get these shots and they aren't bad. ?DH does them in my butt/hip area. ?How do you ladies do the yourself? ?My dr instructed us to do them in a place that I would never be able to reach since you have to make a z-track...do you not have to pull the skin over? ?Just curious, we will do what the dr has told us to.
    Baby Boy born still on March 10, 2008 at 21 wks 2 days : ( Finley Alyse born October 11, 2009 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Declan Jonathan born October 16, 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Canada they don't have the injections - it's either oral or suppository.  I did the suppositories for 15 weeks - rather uncomfortable, but no problems (I would hate the needles!!)
    Mom to 4 boys under age 6 Evan, Darren, Liam & Isaac
  • Options
    They are not bad (and I really hate needles).  I wasn't able to do these myself because of the location of the injection.  I was lucky enough to have my neighbor (she's and RN) come over and give them to me.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"