3rd Trimester
Options

Anyone delaying/has delayed Hep B shot at birth??

If so, how are you going abotu this?  I dont' want to get a debate started about vaccinating or not - I feel strongly that it is an individual decision based on many factors.

In any case, we would like to delay the Hep B vaccine that most babies are given at birth, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that??  Do we have to write a formal letter or just tell the nurses?  When do they typically do it?

I'm having a c/s on Thurs so I want to make sure I take care of this ahead of time.

Thank you for any info! :)

Re: Anyone delaying/has delayed Hep B shot at birth??

• Options
    Nope, you just tell them.  They may make you sign something.  Make sure your wishes are known when you go in and make sure both you and DH are watching when their doing all the checkup stuff afterwards.  Remind them too!
    my blog: mama quiere beso
    Joaquin's hospital and Isela's birth center med & intervention free "hypnobabies" birth stories
  • Options

imagecmeon_the_water:
    We are required to sign/initial an informed/medical consent form before any vaccine, and with Gabe, we simply said "no thanks" when they brought it around. They can't vaccinate babies without permission to do so here, and because they room in, it's not like it can happen on accident, either. :)

Hmm... I don't remember signing anything or them even talking to us about the Hep B vaccine with DS1, so that's why I'm a little stressed.  I'll just make sure that I tell the nurses before we go into the OR and make sure DH keeps an eye out for it as well.

Do they do it right away after they are born or just before they leave the hospital?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagecmeon_the_water:
    We are required to sign/initial an informed/medical consent form before any vaccine, and with Gabe, we simply said "no thanks" when they brought it around. They can't vaccinate babies without permission to do so here, and because they room in, it's not like it can happen on accident, either. :)

Hmm... I don't remember signing anything or them even talking to us about the Hep B vaccine with DS1, so that's why I'm a little stressed.  I'll just make sure that I tell the nurses before we go into the OR and make sure DH keeps an eye out for it as well.

Do they do it right away after they are born or just before they leave the hospital?

• Options
    With DD two years ago they came asking me about it and I asked what it was, they handed me a sheet. DD came out very healthy so no blood transfusion was looming over us (If I had a child with a lot of issues and would possibly need those then I would have considered it) and it seems like something they do more for high risk mothers/babies in more urban area's etc. So we said no (I didn't even know what it was until I was at the hospital and read the sheet). We got it later at 9 months. I probably will wait longer with DD #2 to get it. Maybe?around?3 once the barrage of other shots are over. We did a totally normal schedule with our daughter of vaccines. It just didn't seem?necessary?to me and it didn't seem logical for a shot like that to be given to a newborn for us personally.
  • Options
    imagecmeon_the_water:
    imageMediaBride:

They did (tried to do) ours on the day of release. I'm sure it differs by region/state/hospital- so, definitely speak up early about not wanting it, and make sure your husband knows not to okay it, too. 

ETA: And WOW! It's already so close to baby #2's birthday! Kiddo got a name yet? ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"