Two Under 2
Options

Hi, new to board with BFP this a.m.Still BFing & worried about supply..help!

Hi there!  We are so thankful to be PG with DC#2 after discovering that we were expecting this morning.  I'm still in shock!

My concern right now is that my DS is EBF and I am concerned about him getting enough milk.  My supply always dips before AF and I expect it to be the same being PG.  How do I know that he is getting enough?  If you BF, did you switch to formula and when?

I'm going to call his pedi this morning because she alluded to the fact that we might be able to put him on milk a few weeks early.  I really don't want to stop BFing but will for the safety of the PG.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!  Wow, can't believe that I'm posting on this board and attempting having two so close in age!

Re: Hi, new to board with BFP this a.m.Still BFing & worried about supply..help!

• Options
    I'm still bfing. My OB and I decided that I would try to wean over the next 3-6 months because of my preference. I'd rather not nurse two at once but you totally can. Check kellymom.com for info.
    Mama to D 6.16.08 and C 3.11.10
    Tales of the Wife

imageimage
  • Options
    I got pg when DD was 9 mo old.  She was EBF (of course, eating solids too).  I continued BFing until she was 12.5 mo. when I decided to wean her.  I did not have any change in milk supply that I could tell -- she never lead me to believe she was having problems getting milk.  I could have gone longer BFing (I was 3.5 mo pg when I stopped) but wanted a break before this one is born.  It is possible to BF through your whole pg if you want; however, OB did mention that your milk supply changes around 4 mo. pg and DC#1 may not like it and self-wean at that point.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Congratulations!!

My supply tanked when I got pg. At that point, I had already stopped pumping, so he was taking formula if I was at an appointment or something.  So when my supply tanked, he was still acting hungry and I'd offer formula until he was full.

Someone suggest More Milk Two to me.  It is a supplement designed for nursing moms who are pregnant (because you can't take fenugreek).  It did help (he started taking less formula) but I still had to supplement.

DS ended up weaning himself when I was 13wks pg which I was actually glad for.  I was happy I didn't have to force him to stop BF, he chose when to do it.  Sad I didn't make my 1yr goal though (he was 11 1/2 months).

Ditto the pp - check out kellymom.com.  Also water water water and lactaction cookies!

GL!

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

Get a copy of the book Adventures in Tandem Nursing.  It explains everything you need to know about nursing while pregnant and nursing 2 babies at once.  Many pedis and OBs will tell you to stop BFing while pregnant, but really unless you have complications or health issues there is no reason to stop.  Changes to your milk during pregnancy vary from woman to woman.  Most women see a drop in supply between the 4th-8th month of pregnancy, others don't ever see a drop in supply and some dry up immediately. 

I became pregnant when DS was 11 months old.  He was still nursing at the time and he continued to nurse till he was about 13.5 mo.  At that point my milk dried up.  The only reason I knew I had dried up was because he and DH went away for a guys weekend and I didn't need to pump at all.  Not sure if I dried up before that or not.  Good luck!

Erin & Rick - 9/30/06
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I got my BFP when DD was 6 mos old.  My dr recommended weaning, but i was planning it anyway.  It depends on you and your dr if you think you can proceed.  But if you were planning on bfing til 1 year, then starting weaning now won't make such of a difference.
  • Options

Thank you so much for the feedback.  I definitely don't want to BF 2 kids...but would like a few more months of it with DS.  I love that bond with him but also want to make sure that he is getting enough milk from me.

I guess I'll just wait and see and hopefully I'll know if he is needing more.  Off to make lactation cookies, which I remember as being so yummy! Thank you again!

• Options

When I got pregnant I was still BFing my DS, but only in the morning and right before bed. My supply didn't diminish because of being pregnant. I weaned him though by the time I was a couple months pregnant since he turned 1 around then and I was working on weaning him anyway.

My doc basically told me that I should wean him while pregnant for my own health. I read a lot about it and there seem to be mixed theories. A lot of women continue to BF throughout their pregnancies. It just wasn't for me since I had hyperemesis gravidarium and a host of other problems.

• Options
    I was nursing DS when I got my BFP (he was 10.5 mths old).  I never had a problem with my supply and I nursed him until like 14mths I think it was.  My OB told me to do it as long as I want and  that he might stop on his own due to milk changing taste.  We had no problems with it and I weaned him easily at 14mths.  I just started forgetting to do it in the morning due to m/s and then ended up stopping a few weeks later totally.  Good luck! 
    Our kids are 19mths apart and we LOVE it!!

Married to my BFF on 8.13.05 (after dating 5 years)!

DS born 2.14.08. DD born 9.30.09.

• Options

Just because you are pg doesn't mean you have to stop bfing. If you still want to nurse I would. I am planning on weaning DD within the next 2 mths if she doesn't do it herself, but only bc I don't want to tandem nurse.

• Options
    I also got my BFP with #2 while bfing DD#1 when she was 10months old.  I continued to nurse her until she was almost 14 months old.  We got the go ahead to start whole milk at 11months b/c my supply was dropping.  DD did well and I contiuned to nurse her in the am and pm and once during the night.  Congrats and good luck!!!
  • Options
    We didn't do formula b/c she was 11 months and it was close enough to the 1yr mark plus she had never had formula and I didn't want to experiment with different kinds.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"