2nd Trimester
Options

parents/name

i just have to vent for a second. part of me knew i should not talk about names with my family. but since i was a kid i always wanted to name my girl(if it's a girl) Lucy.after my grandmother.

When DH and I talked about it, he liked the name. but also loved the name Ruby, which i loved as well. it was his aunts name. so we decided that those were our top 2 names and that we would decide once we saw her to see what suites better . i was at my moms and they asked about names. i gave them the top 2 girl and boys name. they went crazy . my mom started crying because she had her heart set on lucy , my dad started talking about family obligation. i explained taht Ruby is from family and that my DH has a say as well. they were so not understanding about the whole thing. the same thing happened for the 2 boys name. they loved one and hated the other(because it reminds them of an uncle they don't speak to( not even his name but part of his last name). we have looked throught everything and those were the ones we loved. they totally rained on my choice and tried to guilt me.

i finally left the whole thing saying that it is our choices and truthfully we didn't like my brothers kids names at first and that eventually whatever we chose, they will have to grow to love. I just feel especially if it's a girl that i am now stuck, even thought i love the name.

they never had a say in my brother or sisters kids name so because we are close they feel like they can say whatever they want. kind of true but still. i wish i had not talked about it at all, then we would have named the baby and it would have been too late to barade my choice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Pregnancy Ticker

Re: parents/name

• Options
    It's not up to them, so don't keep worrying about it! Name your baby what feels right to YOU.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sorry they rained on your parade. DH and I just picked names and we're not telling anyone (after watching my cousin and his wife have their choices berated by family)! Just enjoy the names you chose and don't let your family get to you- they will love the name once they meet your LO!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You pick what you and your husband love. When your parents see the baby, they will get over it.
  • Options
    Ugh. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. People can get so silly over these things. This is precisely why we refused to disclose our name for our last child until he was born. We'll do the same this time. If they ask again about the names, I'd just tell them you'd rather not discuss it anymore and that they'll know once the baby arrives.
  • Options

Once the name is attached to your LO, they will love whatever you choose!  I know it's hard to talk about names like that, though.  Obviously, you love your top two names and are excited to share them, and then people always have an opinion in some way. 

I'm telling people I am naming this baby Grover Cleveland, boy or girl, after my favorite president.  I don't know anything about Grover Cleveland, but people generally change the subject after that.

• Options
    I know what you mean. We are having a girl and my husbands kid sister hates the name we chose (we chose Rebekah Michelle). She even went as far as telling us what we are supposed to name the baby. We did talk to his family before we picked a name and I didn't like anything they picked. Then his sister told me that I better name our baby after my husbands grandma. I never knew the woman, and I don't doubt that she was wonderful but neither my husband or I wanted to name the baby after her. She even told me I have to name her "Rochelle." I have nothing against that name but there is a good reason that never crossed our minds. My name is Rachel. Too similar. It will easily be confused. She told me that she will continue to call the baby Rochelle because what we chose is ugly and she will not call her that. I told her, "She wont answer to you if you call her that." and she answered with, "She will answer to me, because she will hate her name too and want to be called Rochelle." My husbands entire family lives in another state so I'm not concerned. When it finally does happen, I just think my daughter probably wont answer to her when we do visit. Hopefully, SIL wont get mad and act like buffoon over the entire thing.
  • Options
    I just don't understand why people think they have any say in what we name our children. My family would never pull this. So sorry you have to deal with it. We have told everyone under the sun our name for our little girl. Not a single person has said anything about not liking the name. If they don't like it I would have no idea and that is the way it should be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"