Oregon Babies
Options

Possibly moving to Portland/Vancouver area

Hi ladies! My DH and I want to move out of state and are considering the Portland/Vancouver area. My brother lives in Olympia, WA so I am sort of familar with the west coast but would certainly appreciate any advice, recommendations you can offer in terms of neighborhoods. We are looking for a nice family friendly area in a good school district. One thing that does concern me a bit is the amount of rain the PNW is rumored to get. Is it really that bad? Do you get any snow at all? And for those with allergies is the air quality helpful for your allergies or not so much? Thanks so much!

Re: Possibly moving to Portland/Vancouver area

• Options
    We don't get as much rain as people say.  Seattle gets it.  We usually just get a dusting of snow.. maybe 1" at the most one or two times during the winter (last winter doesn't count).  Allergies... Hmm, I don't know about everyone else but I have bad allergies all year long so I can't say much about the air quality.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I don't think we get nearly as much rain as people say we do. What we get isn't overwhelming. It's not like you'll be caught in some flood. The seasons are pretty distinct. We get some snow, but not a lot usually. And, I don't think the air quality is better for allergies. I guess it depends on what you are allergic to. But, if you're allergic to mold, you would want to be careful that your home doesn't get to humid during the wet seasons. And, if you're allergic to flowers, trees, grass- keep in mind that the pacific northwest is pretty green and great for farming.

I've heard that the city of Portland is not so great for schools and that Vancouver is much better. I'm opting for private school. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I've lived in the Portland area for 22 years now, and have lived in all other corners of the US and visited others.. I could not live ANYWHERE but here.. We love it here.  My husband moved out here 5 years ago from Kentucky and will never leave either.  The rain gets annoying, but it's not as bad as people say.  It's a lot better than snow and ice that other places get.  We also don't get any "natural disasters". No hurricanes, tornadoes, flash floods and we haven't had an earthquake in more years than I can remember, and even when we do, it's a tiny shake, nothing major.

I say, move on out!  And as far as neighborhoods go, it really depends on what type of neighborhood/school you're looking for, and where you/your husband will work.  My husband and I both work in downtown and live in a suburb about 14 miles west, and get really tired of the commute, but love where we live, so we deal with it :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"