2nd Trimester
Options

Let's talk Nipples for a second...

so I never knew why nipples get so big and dark during pregnancy, I just never questioned it... but since hubby keeps getting freaked out by the color of them and keeps asking why oh why? I decided to Google it? and I am really surprised what the answer is...  It said that this happens so that the baby can find the food location faster and easier? 

Are there other reasons why they get darker and bigger?  I?m sort of fascinated by the answer b/c it sounds like such an ?animal? thing? 

Nature is such a beautiful thing...

Re: Let's talk Nipples for a second...

• Options
    I wonder why the heck mine hurt so bad.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Who knew?!? Thanks for sharing!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPhotobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mooetamooeta member
    We are animals.
  • Options
    I never thought of googling it. That is interesting!
  • Options
    OWT say it means your having a boy
  • Options

Oh wow. That's neat!

Now I don't feel so bad about my nipples!

• Options
    That is exactly why your areolas/nipples get bigger and darker.  Have you ever seen video of a newborn, just fresh from the womb "crawl" to the mom's breast??  It's instinct just like with animals.  They can smell their mother's milk and then when they get up close they can see the big nipples and latch on.  It's fascinating!!  Even in this world of formula, babies know what's best for them and where to find their food.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Oh for some reason this makes me really really happy. I love how much sense it makes.
  • Options
    The only thing I've heard is the feeding thing.  Which is really a stupid reason.  I can show the baby myself where to go to get food.  I don't need my body to do the work for me at my vanity's expense.
  • Options

imageBcbscorp:
    OWT say it means your having a boy

OWT FAIL!

I'm so pale I'm like Casper and the nips...dark enough for me to have a MUCH darker skin tone, KWIM?

• Options
    That's what my books said. It sounded silly to me, but it makes sense in a Mother Nature sort of way. The darkening areolae has been weird, but it's mostly the growing nipples that are freaking me out. I swear mine have elongated vertically rather than growing all over.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker imageimage 9 weeks (left) and 20 weeks (right) ultrasound
  • Options
    Interesting!  Thanks for the info, I can't wait to pass it on to my DH, who is constantly staring at them like they are aliens.  He teases me constantly.  Maybe now he'll understand. 
  • Options
    Does anyone know if this goes away after breastfeeding is over? God I hope so. 
  • Options
    I can't even look at mine. Its such a transformation! lol
  • Options
    It's also a result of increased blood flow. A lot of women notice that their lips and sometimes even their nail beds become darker.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    do they go back to normal color? after delivery or breast feeding is over? mine darkened so much that they freak me out
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Options
    mine lightened up and shrunk smaller after I was done BF-ing each kid but I don't think they will ever be that beautiful shade of soft pink they once were.
  • Options
    Not sure, but my areola and nipps (sorry if TMI) have gotten huge and dark brown in color- odd and not exactly what I consider attractive but it is what it is.  Oh the joys of pregnancy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimageimage

• Options
    NADA-H said:
    do they go back to normal color? after delivery or breast feeding is over? mine darkened so much that they freak me out

Oh, and yes- mine did go back to normal after each of my first two LO's. 

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimageimage

• Options
    This thread is from 2009 you guys.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    It might be from 2009, but it would seem people are still having similar experiences and questions... 

And yes, I am commenting almost 2 months after the last person.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"