Upstate NY Babies
Options

**recommend your fave books about the first year**

I'm trying to get a head start on reading about Bfing, Sleep training, etc since i imagine my time wont be my own once the LO arrives...but there is SO much out there (I was so overwhelmed at Border's today- I was there for 2 hours and walked out with nothing...)

so ladies in the trenches, any suggestions or must reads? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: **recommend your fave books about the first year**

• Options
    MIL got me "Babywise" when DD was born.  I really like it, it's straightforward and it works for us.  For the dad to be I like "Be Prepared", it's really funny and so true!
  • Options

Happiest Baby on the Block for sure..

For BFing books, I just got Nursing Mother, Working mother, but if you won't be working it might not be that relevant.. I have heard the Nursing Mothers companion is good, but honestly I just had a great LC and sort of skipped most of the reading (although I wish I had read up a little more ahead of time)

Sleep books, I'm still deciding.. I  have mostly read "The No-cry sleep solution" but I haven't really implemented it yet as I'm not totally convinced by it.. I also bought Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child, but i haven't really delved into it yet.

I didn't get any of the "what to expect" or "week by week" books. I don't really want to read what she "should" be doing if she isn't doing it!

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have the What to Expect the First Year- I like it but honestly haven't looked at it much lately, I think I read thru most of it when she was younger though.

Nursing Mother's Companion- I read it before having the baby thinking I could avoid going to a BF class.  I'm not sure anything would have really prepared me for BF, but having a LC available was the most help. 

Happiest Baby didn't do much for us but I was very hopeful as I read it while pregnant.  Probably just our kid though- I know alot of people really like it and it seems well thought out. 

Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems was ok but, didn't resolve all of DD's changing sleep issues.  There are sections for different ages and situations though- just nothing that fits our current issue.

• Options

I really like The Baby Book by Dr. Sears.  It's not that great for sleep advice, since his advice is basically to cosleep if there are any sleep problems, but we are into attachment parenting so it's a good fit for us.   I've also heard good things about the Week by Week book for the first year. 

My favorite breastfeeding book was So That's What They're There For- it's funny and full of good advice. 

Oh, and I would recommend renting the Happiest Baby on the Block DVD and watching that when you're closer to your due date.  Lots of good advice on how to soothe a fussy baby!

• Options
    I read lots & lots & lots of magazines... I lose interest in books too fast. I did read those 2 Jenny McCarthy books about having a baby- those were cute. Oh and Sippy Cups are Not for Chardonnay was a cute one too.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"