3rd Trimester
Options

Did the Orange Drink for Glucose Test Make You Feel Sick?

Did anyone else out there drink the orange drink for the glucose test and feel absolutely horrendous? I thought I was going to puke or pass out. My doctor said that my body isn't used to so much sugar--which is true, I'm not big on sugary things. I'm totally fine, but man did I feel nasty about an hour after drinking it. Am I the only one?

Re: Did the Orange Drink for Glucose Test Make You Feel Sick?

• Options
    I had the orange one this morning but I felt fine. Sorry I'm no help. :(
  • Options
    A lot of people feel sick after drinking that crap.  It's disgusting.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Luckily I got my body ready for all the sugar by eating a donut a day throughout my 2nd trimester. Lol. I think i am the only freak that kind of liked the orange drink. It was cold and bubbly and got the baby kicking really good.
  • Options
    It didn't make me sick, but I've heard a lot of other ladies say that it made them sick.  It would've been better if it was refrigerated though...

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

i felt like i was going to puke and pass out.  they offered me some crackers after they drew my blood.  that drink is truly a "sugar rush"

• Options
    yes!  i had to then get my rhogam shot...and i DID pass out.  It sucked.
  • Options
    Yep.. I was very glad when that test was over... I couldn't even THINK about eating anything sweet for days!! Don't worry it will bet better!
  • Options
    I thought it was really good and tasted like orange soda. No problems afterwards either.
  • Options
    It wasn't bad at all, I didn't mind it. It was cold and kinda tasted like orange kool aid. I think there have been a lot of dramatics tied to the drink/test, when really its pretty darn easy.
  • Options
    I didn't think it was bad at all. Tasted like the juice in a freeze pop. However, my friend felt the same as you did. Probably b/c you don't eat a lot of sweet things like I do.

• Options
    I didn't think it tasted all that bad actually. ?I was preparing myself for the worst though. ?But it did make me feel faint and icky. ?I also felt like I was in a carb coma for the rest of the afternoon too.
  • Options
    Yes! I had to chill out the rest of the day as a result.
  • Options
    yeah I felt pretty crappy until I got to eat a real meal.
  • Options
    I puked it up and had to retake the test.
    Baby E: July 3, 2009 Baby M: February 22, 2012
  • Options

i felt horrible the rest of the day - nausea, headache, icky tummy

?

My beautiful redhead Lily Anne (3.5yrs)
  • Options

I actually liked it and could of had another! LOL!

Does that mean I eat too much sugar? Hmmmm....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I felt sick...and threw up after about 2 hours when I got home.  Then I crashed and slept for several hours.  I felt terrible until the next day, really! 

• DD1: August 2009
    • DD2: December 2010
    • DS: August 2012
    • M/C 9/2013, 12/2013 
    • DD3: October 2014 - April 2015 Miss you baby girl.
    • Current Due date:  April 14, 2016
    Musings of a Farmer's Wife
  • Options

Yes!

Right when I drank it, I felt gross. Then, when it was about an hour later, I felt like I was on some drugs or was going to pass the heck out.

The lady told me it was my crash from the sugar high.

Ick.

• Options

Pregnancy #1- Yes, I was sooo sick! 

This preg-No, had a headache but not too bad. My test came back that I was hypoglycemic.

• Options
    My body is used to sugar and it still made me feel sick. I had to take deep slow breaths while I was trying to drink the bottle to keep it down, then an hour after the test I got a horrible migraine and had to sleep the rest of the afternoon
  • Options
    I had to do my 3-hour GTT twice...and the first hour was brutal but after that I felt fine.  I believe that is completely normal, since you are drinking such a huge amount of sugar in such a short time, on an empty stomach. 

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • Options
    Mine was red and fruit punch flavored! 
    AP, BWing, BFing, CDing, VBAC, Crunchy Mama to my handsome little 2 year old and squishy newbie! Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Babywearing Leader to the DuPage Slingers www.DuPageSlingers.Blogspot.com
  • Options
    I wonder if it has anything to do with fasting. I've heard some people say they were told to fast before the test, and others say they could eat normally. I was told to eat before coming in and had an english muffin with PB. Maybe having something in your belly helps you tolerate it better? hmmm..
  • Options

Oh, and my place didn't refrigerate it either.

I did the "lemon-lime" for the 3hr and that was gross too, AND it had double the sugar as the orange one.

Suckfest.

• Options
    I didn't mind it...It kinda made me really jittery and dizzy-ish...but no real problems.
  • Options
    Yes!  I completely thought I was going to pass out.  They gave me ice packs for my neck and made me lay down for the hour wait to draw my blood.  Then the lab tech had to come to the room I was in to take my blood.  It took me a while after that before I could even leave the doctors office. 
    TTC #1 since 6/08. Cycle #6 - BFP 12/22/08, EDD 9/3/09, DD 8/14/09 at 37w1d
    TTC #2 since 6/11
    me=36 - low AMH, DH=38
    BFP #2 - 8/31/11, EDD 5/10/12, M/C 9/23/11
    BFP #3 - 3/4/12, EDD 11/14/12, CP 3/11/12
    BFP #4 - 5/9/12, EDD 1/19/13, CP 5/11/12
    BFP #5 - 8/22/12, EDD 5/5/13, CP 8/24/12
    IVF#1 - January 2013 - EPP/Antagonist - 7R, 3M, 2F, 3dt of 2 8-cell embies
    BFP #6 - 2/3/13, EDD 10/15/13, DS 9/18/13 at 36w1d
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Actually drinking it was not bad at all - it made me want McDonalds cause it reminded me of the organge drink haha. Afterwards my stomach felt fine but I had a really bad headache that didn't go away until the next day.  I do eat a lot of sugar though...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I felt ok after it.  I had to take the test twice due to switching doctors that had different ideas about when I should have taken the test.  The second time, I had fruit punch and that was GROSS!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    Yep. It made me feel just as gross as if I would have drank an orange soda.  I'm just not used to sugar like that.  I think it's funny that people think others are being overly dramatic...some people really don't do well with excessive sugar!
    my blog: mama quiere beso
    Joaquin's hospital and Isela's birth center med & intervention free "hypnobabies" birth stories
  • Options
    The orange drink made me feel a little icky, but not terrible really.  If you have to take the 3 hour test, the cola drink that they give you is MUCH worse...that made me feel terrible!!!
  • Options
    i had the red, but it just gave me wicked hb...i spph sugary things so im sure my body was used to it a little..lol..i got a 105 so its definitely used to it..hahaha

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I felt pretty icky after the one hour, and I did have the orange flavored drink.  My blood sugar ended up really high and I had to do the three hour.  I had lemon-lime during the three hour and felt much, much worse, even though I passed all of the draws.
  • Options
    You are not alone! That orange stuff is nasty and made me nausus and gave me heartburn. I had my 3 hr test today and they gave me a lemon-lime flavored one. I thought it was better then the orange (less sweet maybe?) but it was still a total suckfest.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I've had 2 one-hours and fruit punch both times. I hate fruit punch! Would much rather have lemon-lime.

My last 1 hour was yesterday.  I ate an egg, piece of sausage and 1 whole wheat toast for breakfast beforehand. I had the druggy crash feeling at one hour after the drink, followed by the yawns at 2 hours. I felt much better after I had lunch.

Gabriel :: Born on his due date - 9/19/09 :: 9lb 8oz, 21"Birth Storysig4 copyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I liked the one I had. It was fruit punch and cold. I was fine the rest of the day.

• Options
    Yes. I had that the first time and puked it up and felt like I was going to black out. I was stuck in traffic on the highway too so it wasn't a pretty scene. This time I got the lemon lime drink which didn't bother me at all.
    Nadia Irene 8/13/07 Reid Owen 8/18/09
  • Options
    The orange one made me throw up, so I usually pick the fruit punch. I've taken 2 1 hours and 2 3 hour tests. (Threw up the 1st 1 hour, failed the second, passed both 3 hours)
  • Options
    I was fine drinking it, but after I felt ill. Just too much sugar on an empty stomach first thing in the morning..and I have a pretty strong stomach...blah
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"