Baby Names
Options

everyone says we are crazy

Whenever someone asks us what we are naming our little girl we tell them and they think that we are crazy for giving her such a long name

Lillian Emma Rayne , then our last name.  My hubby and I like the two middle names, do you think that it is too long?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: everyone says we are crazy

• Options
    None of those 3 names are so long, I think it works. Use them if both middle names are significant.
  • Options
    You can do whatever you want. It's your kid. That's a nice name too. Personally, though, I would only do one middle name. I have two and I would have had an easier time with forms, etc.. had I only had one.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't see the point in having 2 middle names.
  • Options

I think it's sweet. I have a long name for cultural reasons and I love it. If you are pleased with the choice, then it's a good choice.

Congratulations and wishes for a safe delivery.

Reyna

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's a pretty name, just long...
  • Options
    It's a nice name but it's long and I'm not personally a fan of having 2 middle names.
  • Options

not a huge fan of two middle names, but yours flow nicely together.  I would go with it.  She isn't going to be saying her full name all the time anyway.  She will have to allow more time when buying a house though Smile

• Options

No, it's not too long in terms of syllables. People are probably just surprised that you're using two middle names. It's not that common. I have two middle names (8 syllables) and I've always loved my name. Most people won't know or say the entire name anyway. I wouldn't worry about what people say.

• Options
    imagemsrkilpatrick:

I think it's sweet. I have a long name for cultural reasons and I love it. If you are pleased with the choice, then it's a good choice.

Congratulations and wishes for a safe delivery.

Reyna

Me too. I have 3 mn and it's really no big deal. Honestly, the only time I ever remember being annoyed with it was when I became an American citizen and had to sign my FULL name multiple times in a row. Otherwise, it was never a big deal. All school forms etc only listed my first mn even though all 3 were legal. I don't know why people get all worked up over this. It's your child, do what you want and what works for you :)

And anyway, I think it sounds very pretty together, flows well, and like pp mentioned, all names are short so it doesn't make it seem way long. Go for it!

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Options

After reading the responses, I feel I should explain why I have two middle names- one honors each of my grandmothers. My parents had a hard time having me and didn't think they'd have the chance to name more than one kid. They didn't- I'm an only child. They couldn't choose between their moms and I'm glad they didn't. They are both gone now and I'm so proud to have their names as a part of me.

• Options
    No, I am a big fan of the two middle names thing.  Go for it!
  • Options

Our little guy is most likely going to have 2 middle names.

Since this is probably our only child this will be our way to honor a couple of people by using all of those names w/ ds.

I don't see anything wrong w/ it.

• Options
    You do whatever you like.  :)
  • Options
    It's not like every time you say her name you are going to be saying "Lillian Emma Rayne".  Her everyday name will most likely just be Lillian or Lily anyway.  I say go for it and stop telling people her name before she is born if you want to avoid any more comments. 
  • Options
    I have two middle names honouring two important people in my mom's life. I always though it was great and special as a child.
  • Options
    If you like it that is ALL that matters!!!  To make you feel better our daughter's name is going to be Evangeline Kathleen Marie and our 1 syllable last name- so yours is not long at all!
  • Options
    One middle name seems sufficient.
  • Options
    ctanactana member

In college I was a nanny for an old southern family from old money. Their two daughters had four names total (incl last name) and I absolutely LOVED it. It was charming in my opinion.  Go for it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds lovely to me. I had considered doing something similar with the name Lillian...my great-grandmother was Lily Mae, and DH's great-grandmother was Una, and I'd thought of doing Lillian Una Mae to honor them both. DH is kinda particular, though...
  • Options
    I think 2 middle names is a bit much. Lillian Emma is a great name. Rayne? Seriously?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think it is crazy.  We are kinda considering two middle names as well.  Both my husband's dad and my dad are deceased and we are thinking of using them both as middle names.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I greatly appreciate all the different opinions, I know it seems odd to ask a bunch of strangers that I probably will never meet, but I don't have many girl friends to ask, plus all of you have or are going to have to pick a name for your babies.  The two middle names is also a celtic tradition, and both middle names are family names so that is why we have  them.  Once again thanks for all the opinions.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan at all of having 2 middle names.  What's the point?
  • Options
    imagethatgirlang:

No, it's not too long in terms of syllables. People are probably just surprised that you're using two middle names. It's not that common. I have two middle names (8 syllables) and I've always loved my name. Most people won't know or say the entire name anyway. I wouldn't worry about what people say.

This.  I have four names, for a total of 11 syllables.  It's seriously fine, and I love my name.  I don't understand people who have hang-ups about four names.  There are many places where having four names is not at all unusual. 

I plan to give my own kids four names - it's very common in my family.  First name, middle name, family surname, last name.  I also totally understand some of the previous posters' examples, where there were too many great names of special people they wanted to use. And as someone who loves names, I'd understand if there were just two great middle names the parents couldn't decide between!

Seriously, I don't get why it's a big deal.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"