3rd Trimester
Options

Who all will be in the labor room?

DH and I have talked it over and feel that we would be most comfortable if it is just us in the delivery room and medical personnel. well my mother feels that she 'deserves' to be in the room and this is the day she has been waiting for....i don't know what to do! we're close but...im also private, and i hate the fact of her being in there...any suggestions?

Re: Who all will be in the labor room?

• Options
    Tell her no. She'll survive.
  • Options

imagestephm0188:

Yeah, I agree. ?I'm close with my mom, but I just feel that is a time for MH and I only.?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My mother and DH will be in the delivery room incase DH passes out or something (God forbid!) so then my mother knows all of my medical information and background.
  • Options

imagestephm0188:

This. My mom cried when I told her she wasn't allowed...she'll get over it.

• Options
    If you hate the idea of her being there, say no. You do not want to feel uncomfortable or have regrets over something like this. Explain that you and DH want to experience this alone and together. She has to respect that.
  • Options
    Her grandchild won't be any less precious to her if she has to wait a few minutes.
  • Options

imagekellyperk85:
    My mother and DH will be in the delivery room incase DH passes out or something (God forbid!) so then my mother knows all of my medical information and background.

this is my scenario as well...  

• Options
    It will just be DH and me.  His grandfather's wife invited herself into the room, but I told her no, that I'm simply not comfortable with anyone else being there.  I know a lot of people want their parents or friends there, but I feel like the birth of our child is a private moment (or as private as possible with the medical staff).
  • Options

My plan is to have my BFFs and DH in the room during labor, my mom is going to be able to visit but my BFFs and DH are ready to kick her out if need be. 

During delivery, only DH will be there.  I am a pretty private person and wouldn't like my mom or anyone else seeing me in such a delicate state. 

AP, BWing, BFing, CDing, VBAC, Crunchy Mama to my handsome little 2 year old and squishy newbie! Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Babywearing Leader to the DuPage Slingers www.DuPageSlingers.Blogspot.com
  • Options

imagethatgirlang:
    If you hate the idea of her being there, say no. You do not want to feel uncomfortable or have regrets over something like this. Explain that you and DH want to experience this alone and together. She has to respect that.

This.  If you're feeling uncomfortable in labour, it may even stall your labour!  You have to do what makes you feel comfortable, and not worry about anyone else (except your baby!).

• Options
    I told DH that it will only be he and I (possibly parents during labor until I am in a lot of pain). Maybe my sister during the delivery also, depending on how woozy DH is getting Big Smile
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    sam19sam19 member

Just me and H.

My mother told me I was a horrible daughter for not letting her into the delivery room and that I was crushing her and she's done so much for me and yada yada yada. I told her that if she keeps this up, she'll be lucky if I even tell her when Natalie is born. That shut her up real fast. But I need to be blunt/mean like that with my mom or she'd guilt me into everything.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
  • Options

imagestephm0188:

Agreed!  How does she think she "earned" it? 

It will be DH and I and personnel. 

• Options
    SO hard...my sister who has had 5 kids and was a Doula asumes she wiull be in there but I dont know if I want that...it really stresses me out thinkng about it so I avoid thinking about it
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

imagestephm0188:

THIS!

• Options

my philosophy, which i share with anyone who asks:  if you were there at conception, you are invited to be there at the delivery.

oh wait, that means just DH and i... hmmmm.  yup, that feels about right.

my mom is really chill and wasn't bothered at all when she asked "do you want me there?" i just said, "hell no."

when i hear about moms/MIL's feeling like they "deserve" to be there? my blood boils on your behalf.  don't let anyone guilt you into something you don't want.  this is YOUR labor, and YOUR first moments with your child.  no one else has the right to be involved if you don't want them there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

As of now it will be DH, sister, and mom!  DH may be going on a 2 week deployment to check out the area they will be in when they actually deploy so he may not be there we won't know until right before he leaves, so in that case it will just be my sister (she is a photographer) and my mom. 

I would just tell her you only want DH in the room with you beacause it is a special moment for the two of you to share, I'm sure she'll understand.  And you never know, you may change your mind at the last minute!

• Options
    This is not about your mom - it is about you, your husband, and your new babus.  Easier said than done, I know, but my husband and I are also asking family not to be there.  We are not going to call until a few hours after she is born.  We don't want them to come and sit around the hospital because they will be stressed and they will stress me out!
  • Options
    I'm having DH and my mom; we are really close and she's also an RN so i want her there. She has always made me feel at easy with any health issues/concerns. It's important to me that she's there, but everyone has different relationships with there moms!
  • Options
    My boyfriend, mother, and sister will be in the room. I have a really close family, and my mom and sister have been huge on my support during this whole pregnancy because I have been in and out of the hospital with Pre-E so I want them to be in there..
  • Options

It's just going to be my husband and I (and of course all the medical personell) in the delivery room.  My mom and I are super close - but I can't imagine having her in there w/ us...but I do understand those of you who want more people in the delivery room.  I'm just a little shy for all that!

• Options
    DH will be the only person.  Although my mom and I are close, I am pretty sure I just want DH there.  Things may change, and we can play it by ear.
  • Options
    DH...that is it. I feel you say yes to one person others will feel they have the right to be in there too. Keeping it simple.
  • Options
    Everyone is invited...the more the merrier...hahahahhaa.  Besides my husand, my mom, my dad and sister want to be there, as well as my MIL.  I don't mind any of them, because I know they will be great coaches. MIL mentioned something about her husband (my FIL) coming in and I was like "What?"...yeah....I have to draw the line somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"