Special Needs
Options

does anyone's DC see a developmental pedi for speech delay?

I am kicking around the idea of taking S to one. She has a speech delay, the SLP tossed out (and I do mean tossed out) the diagnosis of apraxia.?

our next appt is tomorrow. this is only our 2nd appt with this SLP. we were seeing another one but our insurance carrier changed.

any suggestions/input/advice? ?

thanks.?

Sisterly love--Sophia (1/14/07) and Baby Margaux (7/13/10) image Doctor in training! :)image

Re: does anyone's DC see a developmental pedi for speech delay?

• Options

no, but I am thinking of going to one!!

DS has maybe 5 words, that he used sporadically.  He seems to be trying to say more, but it comes out all jumbled.  he had muscle tone issues when he was little.  it was too much muscle tone, which prevented him from moving like a normal baby..  so we will see.  I get a new speech pathologist in 2 weeks.  I plan on discussing it with her.

• Options

An appt. with a dev. pedi can't hurt - they're SO plugged into available resources that even if they don't think S has a specific diagnosis they are such a wealth of information for you.

FWIW, some take as much as 6 months to get an appointment.  Your pedi may be able to ask for a quicker appointment or you could request to be put on a waiting list if you'd like to be see sooner.

So glad to hear your insurance has worked out for S - I remember you saying you had such a hard time with the other carrier. GL

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We're kind of in the same boat.  Our SLP has suggested possible apraxia as the cause of DS#1's speech delay.  I have scheduled an appointment with a developmental pedi for February; this appointment was made at least 6 months ago. 

Best of luck!
    Heather

Wonderful DS#1 9/14/06** Wonderful DS#2 3/29/08**

Natural m/c 3/28/10 5w6d** Natural m/c 9/4/10 5w4d**

BFP: 2/27/12. u/s showed blighted ovum at 9wks Natural m/c started 4/11, cytotec 4/13/12 (at 12 wks). **

First appt with RE 5/7. Testing complete. Dx: luteal phase defect

BFP 10/25/12. u/s on 11/16 confirms heartbeat image

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

hi!!

We went to a developmental pedi at 15 mos and a top doc at 18 mos. I think that regardless of what they dx it's important to have their feedback. fwiw mine had a 6 month wait at the time *now it's closer to a 9 but I said to keep me in mind if anyone cancels as I would be flexible. She called me the same day and had a cancel the next day! I was months into therapy by the time my original appt date came around! Speech therapy is the biggest step. My doc isn't big into special diets or supplements so we just don't do it but we have seen drastic improvement since starting therapy. DS has a severe sp .language delay both receptive and expressive so it wasnt just a matter of him saying words for us it was also understanding. He has made giant leaps. The way I try to describe speech therapy is grains of sand each visit and you build your grains and as time goes you do see great change. It's a process for sure but well worth it.

GL!!

• Options

Hi my son is is ASD but has huge Speech delays.  We see a DEV Ped, and she has been wonderful.  Full of knowledge and has been able to kick my PCP in the butt when needed to get the right refferralls for all kinds of things. 

My son of course has other issues other than just speech but she is on top of everything and becuase of her I have been able to get the best for DS and he has improved in all areas tremendously in the last 6 months

GL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"