Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Mastitis

ugh, I think I have mastitis! My breasts are hot, very itchy and very sore. My nips are also very cracked. I'm only able to get Julia to latch on once in the morning and once in the evening, other than that I'm pumping every 3ish hours. Any thoughts on cures or remedies are appreciated! Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Mastitis

• Options
    When I had it, the LC told me to "take the baby to bed" and to let her nurse all day and night--especially on the affected boob.  They also put me on an antibiotic.  I'd call your OB first thing in the am.  So sorry =(
    Photobucket Abby............12.27.07
  • Options
    you need to call your ob/midwife.  mastitis can get nasty if untreated.  fortunately, the antibiotic works fast.  in the meantime...nurse that baby!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh hun! I SO hope you don't have it! Is there a visible red ring around your breast? That was the for sure sign for me. The second I lifted up my bra at the OB she said, yup, you have it for sure. Are you feeling any other flu like symptoms? I had a fever between 103 and 105 the entire time.

As far as I know, the only actual cure is antibiotics. I had to take them for 10 days and only about the 5th day I started feeling better. I hope your mom can come help because I seriously couldn't even sit up and get to the bathroom on my own for about three days. Seriously, call me if you need anything, even just someone to watch Julie for a couple hours while you nap.

• Options

Oh I am so sorry! I am still on antibiotics because I got it for the first time last week. 

If you have any disposable diapers sitting around, fill one with warm/ hot water and use it as a warm compress. It will stay warm. Try to get baby to nurse as much as possible and just keep pumping. Also, try using light hand massage to keep the milk flowing. If you do have mastitis, they will likely put you on an antibiotic. It helped the pain go away almost instantly. 

OH - and for your nipples, Bag Balm is the best. It has some sort of analgesic in it which seems to dull the pain.

Feel better mama! :)  

• Options
    wash cloths with hot water made it more bearable
  • Options
    I just got this a couple of days ago. It was so painful, I let it get really bad becuase I just thought DS was teething again and thats why my boob hurt so bad. Then I saw a red line going up to my armpit. I never had a fever or anything like that luckily. I got the antibiotics on thurs and my boob still hurts. Hopefully yours heals faster than mine. Call your ob asap.
                     7/08, 1/12, 2/14, Due with baby #4  2/12/16 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    ditto everyone else!
  • Options

What everyone else said plus clove essential oil.  Mix it with a carrier oil and rub it all over your feet and your breasts...just not the nipples.

Use lanolin on your nipples.  Also...have you tried a nipple shield?

• Options
    CelynCelyn member
    If you have any concerns about thrush, use olive oil on the nipples instead of lanolin.  Lanolin creates a nice warm barrier for the thrush to thrive beneath.  Also a fresh, cool, crisp cabbage leaf over the blocked area will help relieve the pressure.  Mastitis is no wait-and-see sort of matter.  It's usually caused by a blocked duct coupled with just over-doing things and getting run down.  Make sure to get plenty of fluids, nurse often, get rid of the blockage by massage, warm compresses, dangle nursing, etc.  and call a doc for a prescription if you have a temp.
  • Options
    A heating pad also helps on the breast even while nursing.  And nurse your baby every which way possible.  I once had DS nurse essentially "upside down" to help unclog things.  I laid down with my head on a pillow and put him to the breast and his legs were in my face while he nursed.  It took two full days of nothing but nursing in addition to antibiotics to get things started on clearing up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"