Northern California Babies
Options

How did you find your OB/GYN?

I'm ashamed to say I don't have one Embarrassed.  I always used my PCP for my yearly checkups etc... and she said I didn't need one if everything was 'normal'...  but I am *fed up* w/my PCP office staff (they scheduled me for an appt Monday for a time that the doc wasn't even there!!!  WTF?!!)

Anyhow, I digress - How did you gals find your OB/GYN?  Friends? Family? Referral from your PCP?  I have no idea how to go about this, and I feel weird asking friends/family/coworkers bc I want to keep this under wraps for a while longer...not to mention anytime I asked in the past they always said their docs weren't taking any new patients!!! 

I searched my heath plan network and call the closest one and made an appt for 3wks from now (I would be 8wks... they said their standard first appt was 8-10wks) and immediately felt relieved... but then when I called my DH, he said maybe I ought to push for an earlier appt to meet him first?!  I figure I have plenty of time to switch docs if I need to, but now DH has me all worried...   did you interview your OBs before you settled on one?  Is that even considered normal?!!! 

<----------- clueless   Tongue Tied

"Oh come on Gromit, a bit more, you know... alluring!!" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: How did you find your OB/GYN?

• Options
    I asked on this board for recommendations as well as family and friends. I started with a new OB when I got PG and my first appointment was at 8 weeks. If I hadn't liked her, would have switched at that point, but I liked her and stayed with her my entire pregnancy. It certainly wouldn't hurt to meet someone new sooner than 8 weeks especially since it wasn't a referral from anyone you know. 
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was in the same position (PCP doing my yearly checkups, and then I had to switch of medical group).

I first looked at which hospital I'd want to give birth (in the case I was expecting - which is not the case right now).

I then checked online to see which OB/GYN would be in a covered medical group and with whom I could give birth in my desired hospital.

From the list, I looked at which OB/GYN accepted new patients. I asked friends and on the Nest if anyone knew about them (unfortunately, none). I finally picked one based on her medical experience background.

I know that some doctors accept interviews, others don't.

GL  !

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I went to my health plans' sites to find one and make sure that she was covered by both plans.  I called to make an appt for an annual exam that would occur around the time we were starting to TTC.  I ended up loving her and her staff and was glad I chose her.
                                                 Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • Options

Thanks for the input ladies... I feel better now..  I figure I should give mr. random-closest-OB/GYN-to-me a chance and see what I think at my first appt... he's been practicing 33 years... I guess that's a good thing?!!   Or he might be serious old school... we'll see!! 

Now... if only I could stop freaking myself out by looking up miscarriage stats on google...  

"Oh come on Gromit, a bit more, you know... alluring!!" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    CelynCelyn member
    With DS1, I didn't have many options and the university clinic made an appt for me.  With DS2, I looked for recommendations from people in the med-free birth community.
  • Options
    Ditto recommendations from this board.  And 8-10 weeks is standard.  However you *could* push if you feel like you want an earlier one.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm just about to switch OBs and I'm in month 6, so I don't think you need to worry if you don't like your OB.   I like my OB fine, but I want to deliver at a hospital she doesn't deliver at so I need to switch.  I haven't found a new one yet!  ;)

Where are you located?  I would probably start with finding someone in your network and also ask for recs here and from local friends.  I don't think it's suspicious to get recs for OBs.   You could also try reading the recs on Yelp.

FWIW, I didn't have an OB until I got pregnant either.   I've just been seeing my PCP at the Palo Alto Medical Foundation for the past few years. 

-green

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"