Georgia Babies
Options

Piedmont vs Northside

Hi ladies,  I just found out that I am pregnant this weekend.  I love my Dr, but DH became concerned since his practice delivers at Piedmont.  All he has ever heard about was that Northside was the baby hospital.  I've always heard good things about Piedmont and bad about Northside.  The main issue is c-section rates and the fact that Northside can be very factory like, but I can't really remember the good about Piedmont.  You don't really pay attention until you have to, I guess.

Piedmont is closer to our house (we live in Smyrna) and the practice that I go to has the Chief of OB and the Chief of Gyn of Piedmont in their staff so I know the doctors are really good.  A plus is that they have a Vinings office as well.

Anyways, any advice?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Piedmont vs Northside

• Options

I delivered at Piedmont and loved the experience! I felt like I was the only one in the ward because all the nurses checked on me so often.

Also, I delivered vaginally while my 3 neighbors who delivered at Northside  all 3 had C-sections.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I delivered at Northside (and will be again) and had a great delivery.  While they are known as the baby factory, it didn't feel like it was a factory.  C-section rates depend on how your labor is going and if you have a good rapport with your OB, you can and will be in charge of your own delivery (provided any extenuating circumstances).  I did deliver vaginally though.

That being said, I've heard absolutely wonderful things about Piedmont.  I do know some of the other Moms on here have delivered at Piedmont and they'll be able to tell you from first-hand experience.

If it were up to me, if you love your OB practice and are comfortable with them, stick with them and deliver at Piedmont, especially if it is closer to your house.

Congratulations and H&H 9 months! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I have experienced both and prefer Piedmont.  Its smaller and the food is better LOL. The level of care is excellent at both and both have the highest level of NICU available, should you need it, which you probably won't.  I delivered SC at Northside and had a great experience, but man that place is so big.....I just prefer Piedmont.   I felt more like a number at Northside and more like a patient at Piedmont.  I think the Csection rate is around the same, but I I could be wrong....

I say go with Piedmont since its closer, its a fantastic hospital. 

Northside delivers more babies than any other hospital in the US, so its known as a baby hospitatl, but bigger does not nec make it better IMO.  I have a friend married to an OB and he wanted to work at Piedmont and assured me when we switched to northside that both were just as good in the level of care.  We switched as Northside was MUCH closer to our house  and my job - with my high risk pregnancy, I had tons of doctor visits so it just made sense to be closer to home and work.

Congrats.

• Options
    I delivered at Northside and loved it.  I didn't feel as if it was a baby factory. My first child was c-section, then I had Payton with VBAC
  • Options

I delievered at Northside and had a great experience. My nurses were great the whole stay and the LCs were so helpful. I have no compliants. For the c-section rate, that has more to do with your doctor/practice then the hospital itself. Like the pp said that is between you and yoru OB. No one can force you to do anything with your delievery unless of course then are medical circumstances like the baby in distress.

On the other hand, I have friends that delievered at Piedmont and had great experiences there too. I would say if you like your OB practice then stick with them. Piedmont is not a bad place to have a baby. It's just more people go to Northside.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I delivered at Northside and had a great experience with everyone there.  I did end up having a c-section but only because it was medically necessary.  DD would have died without it.  That being said, my OB waited until the last possible safe minute to make the call, so it was obvious a c-section was not her first choice.  It is huge, but they were so nice to my entire family, DH, and me.  The rooms there were much nicer than the ones I have seen at Kennestone and Cobb, and the waiting room is huge.  Plus there is a food court there which made it easy on DH, even though he refuses to eat McDonald's ever again.
  • Options

I delivered at Northside, vaginally, and LOVED it.  They thought of everything you needed before you realized you needed it.  They do a ton of births, which is true, but means they really know what they are doing and have things down to a science.

I've heard good things about Piedmont as well. 

• Options
    I delivered vaginally at Piedmont. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED our experience there. The staff was incredible and the food was awesome! We didn't even consider Northside, mainly because it's known as the "Baby Factory" and the nickname alone was a turn off for us.
  • Options
    care99care99 member
    I think they are both good.  I delivered at Northside and had a great experience there.  Wonderful nurses and staff, plus I love my OB.  C-section rates depend more on your OB/practice.....I delivered vaginally.  My 2 friends that delivered at Piedmont were both C-sections.    I say go with the docs you feel more comfortable with.  Congrats on your pregnancy!
  • Options
    I don't think you can go wrong with either hospital, so if you like OB practice and your Dr the you should stick with them.  I had a vaginal delivery at Northside and had a great experience.  I think the nickname "the baby factory" is just from them having the highest # of births in the country - not b/c they treat you like you are on a factory line.  There may have been a lot of other births the same day as me, but you are in your own little world and I thought the nurses and staff did a good job in making sure I had everything I needed. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lily  pie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"