North Carolina Babies
Options

Co-ed baby shower- what kind of food to serve?

I'm hosting a co-ed baby shower in a few weeks. It will be pretty low key but I still want to be a great hostess.   It starts at 6:30, co-ed, pretty relaxed group of people. My dh says chicken wings and beer but I want a little nicer than that.. any suggestions? TIA!

Re: Co-ed baby shower- what kind of food to serve?

• Options

We did hotdogs and hamburgers but you could always do bbq or a sub station.  Good luck and have fun!

image Connor Reeves - July 4, 2007 Naomi Raye - January 26, 2011
  • Options
    We had a Jack and Jill for our shower. My mom hosted it and had it catered. There was grilled chicken, a spinach salad with strawberries and poppy seed dressing, pasta salad... I am not sure I remember much more than that. There was alcohol and I didn't really mind. Are you going to do all of the cooking? Since it is at 6:30 you could do a lot of heavy appetizers.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think for our co-ed shower they had a grilled beef tenderloin as the main item then the usual sides of fruits, veggies, salads, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    How many people?  We typically serve meals at showers because it tends to be easier and cheaper than preparing lots of appetizers.  Have fun planning!
  • Options
    It could be as many as 22 adults and 7 kids but I bet it will be more like 16 adults and 7 kids. I figure for the kids I'll just do hot dogs no big deal. And yes I was planning on doing all the cooking but I'm not so sure now. I might do the main meat and order sides from some where. This is where I'm kind of stuck...
  • Options
    You could make sides ahead of time. I'd do some sort of meat that you don't have to tend to while people are there. That's the thing I don't like about a cookout... then you or your DH are taken away from your guests while cooking. You could always make something like baked ziti for the kids.
  • Options
    I would highly recommend BBQ.  You can pick up several pounds from a restaurant, and just heat it up the day of the shower.  It would be easy to add some sides (salads, fruit, chips, etc.) and desserts.  It's an easy meal to stretch, and a good one to freeze if you have leftovers.  :)
  • Options

imagemrsbluetoes:
    I would highly recommend BBQ.  You can pick up several pounds from a restaurant, and just heat it up the day of the shower.  It would be easy to add some sides (salads, fruit, chips, etc.) and desserts.  It's an easy meal to stretch, and a good one to freeze if you have leftovers.  :)

BBQ is a  great idea BUT we live in Sampson County which is BBQ king so we have BBQ at every single event. We also have a big bash for kickoff of football season in mid August where we cook a pig and all at our house. 

• Options
    This is when I wish my mom was nearby she is so much better at party planning than I am... ughhhh... and my dh is absolutely no help. He doesn't understand why I am already thinking about this...
  • Options
    imagemarryingacoach:

imagemrsbluetoes:

BBQ is a  great idea BUT we live in Sampson County which is BBQ king so we have BBQ at every single event. We also have a big bash for kickoff of football season in mid August where we cook a pig and all at our house. 

Ahh, I see.  It also depends on how involved you want to be when guests are there.  You could do a Mexican theme with enchilada casseroles, taco dips, salads, margaritas, etc.  You could also do lots of different kinds of kabobs - chicken, beef, veggie...and even do dessert fruit kabobs.  Or you could always do some sort of low country boil where you had crab legs, shrimp, and other seafood with potatoes, corn, slaw, hushpuppies and lots of good beer to wash it down.  :)

• Options
    imagemrsbluetoes:
    imagemarryingacoach:

Ahh, I see.  It also depends on how involved you want to be when guests are there.  You could do a Mexican theme with enchilada casseroles, taco dips, salads, margaritas, etc.  You could also do lots of different kinds of kabobs - chicken, beef, veggie...and even do dessert fruit kabobs.  Or you could always do some sort of low country boil where you had crab legs, shrimp, and other seafood with potatoes, corn, slaw, hushpuppies and lots of good beer to wash it down.  :)

I like the kabob idea.. I could even do a lot of the prep work the night before...hmmmmm..... dh would have to grill but that would not be too bad on him-- all the men love hanging out by the grill drinking a beer.  

• Options
    We fondly called that party, "Food on a stick."  :)  We let everyone make their own kabobs (but you could easily do that ahead of time).  You could even do corn dogs and popsicles for the kids with that theme. For appetizers, we had caprese kabobs with a piece of mozzarella, a grape tomato, and a piece of basil drizzled in balsamic vinagerette.  It made for some fun arrangements too.  :)
  • Options
    I would probably do heavy appetizers.  Our usuals are Swedish meatballs (frozen meatballs with equal parts of grape jelly and chili sauce in the crockpot- super easy and yummy), Buffalo Chicken Dip, Bruschetta (bought at Costco along with the bread "chips"), shrimp cocktail (shrimp from Costco since it is cheap), veggie tray, and a few desserts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"