2nd Trimester
Options

if you were 7 months pregnant???

Where would you want to go on vacation? I was looking at going to Aruba, St. Maarten or Mexico. Which one do you think would be best?

Re: if you were 7 months pregnant???

• Options
    I would personally stay in the US or at least as close as the Bahamas, but that's just me.  I would not want to have to go to a hospital in Mexico!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I will be 7 months pregnant when I go to Daytona, Fla. Granted it is no Carribean Island, but heck yeah I would go!! I've never been to any of them before, but heard wonderful things about all of them!

Have fun!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lesuthlesuth member
    I'm usually just a lurker here, but just to let you know, in order to go to Aruba you will most likely have to fly to Europe first. We were looking at going to cura?ao (right next to Aruba) this summer and changed our mind because it would take around 24 hours to get there!
  • Options
    I would not go anywhere that far. I delievered at 7 months and I was so thankful to be at home. Have you asked your OB?
  • Options
    If I lived in TX like you, I'd definitely go to Mexico for the shorter flight.  We stayed at an amazing AI in Cozumel that I've been dying to go back to so that's definitely where I would go.  I don't know about having to fly through Europe to get to Aruba, I've never heard of anyone I know doing this, but even still Aruba would be a long flight.  St. Maarten is beautiful but also a little over priced if you ask me- the French side of the island has the best beaches but everything costs more.
  • Options

imagelesuth:
    I'm usually just a lurker here, but just to let you know, in order to go to Aruba you will most likely have to fly to Europe first. We were looking at going to cura?ao (right next to Aruba) this summer and changed our mind because it would take around 24 hours to get there!

About Aruba:  That is ABSOLUTELY not true!  I just flew there from Boston non-stop on JeBlue airlines.  There is no way you'd have to fly to Europe to get to Aruba.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I went to San Diego and had a blast at the beach. There is tons of stuff to do there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Due December 16, 2012! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Any of those sound great! But, honestly... at 27 weeks pregnant... I'm not feeling like going any where at all right now! I swell so bad in the heat already that I just feel awful! :-(

I hope you find somewhere awesome that you can enjoy!!! :) Sounds like a blast!! We were married 5 years ago in Punta Cana and we've been to Mexico 3 times! :)

• Options
    imagejennybeams:

imagelesuth:

About Aruba:  That is ABSOLUTELY not true!  I just flew there from Boston non-stop on JeBlue airlines.  There is no way you'd have to fly to Europe to get to Aruba.

Yeah I agree, my parents go to Aruba and Caymen's every year I hadn't heard that before.  I think the flight to Aruba would be 6 hours and Mexico is 2 hours.

• Options
    All of those places sound wonderful! I would say Mexico, because I love it there. I went for 2 weeks with my church to work with a "sister church" a few years ago and fell in love.
  • Options
    imagejennybeams:

imagelesuth:

Ditto. This is so not true. We went to Aruba for our honeymoon and it wasn't that long of a flight. Definitely not 24 hours. Having said that I would probably not go on vacation at 7 months.

• Options
    I just got back from Europe, which was great at 6 months. I am feeling bigger every day though, so I don't want to do much more traveling. I'd look at flight time first - where can you go direct? Then, how easy is the place you're going? Is it a resort with its own shuttle from the airport, etc? That'd make a difference in how tired you'd be when you arrived (and left). Also, I'd check the resources there - everything from drinking the water to location (and quality) of hospital. Also, I found in Europe that different places had different ideas about pregnant women - some areas were like "here's a raw egg and some wine!" and others were like "oh you're pregnant, let me make sure the cook fully cooks your meat" etc - the more "American" the better, I'd say, at this point. Have a great time!
  • Options

I would stick with either Aruba or St. Maarten...Mexico is not the cleanest country in the world, though I probably wouldn't leave the country at all at 7 months.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    lesuthlesuth member
    Upon doing more research I notice that I was wrong about Aruba. Cura?ao will take about 24 hours, but not Aruba. Even though they are right next to each other. You can fly from Aruba to Curacao, but in an unairconditioned plane. Yuck!
  • Options

imagelesuth:

?

Not true, we went to Aruba last year, we flew out of DFW and had a layover in Miami then on to Aruba. ?We loved it but the water is rough, not smooth calm and relaxing. ?If you stay at the Marriott Renissance I think is where we stayed they have a private island they shuttle you to by boat and it is really nice. ?They have baracades so that beach is much more calm. Most of the resorts are on the other side of the island and the water is much rougher. ?I am a good swimmer but everyone in our group was not and many were not comfortable. ?

?Also, I would be careful about food standards in other countries are not as strict as ours, my OB said I can't leave the US period from my first appt. ?Just something to consider. ?Good luck! ?Have fun!?

• Options

imagelesuth:
    Upon doing more research I notice that I was wrong about Aruba. Cura?ao will take about 24 hours, but not Aruba. Even though they are right next to each other. You can fly from Aruba to Curacao, but in an unairconditioned plane. Yuck!

This is not true.  I just went to Curacao a few years ago.  You usually have to connect in San Juan (or another island), but it is not in an un-airconditioned plane - all commercial planes are going to be air conditioned.  I flew with American Airlines.

In answer to your question, I would go to either Aruba or St Maarten.  I would definitely not want to go to a hospital in Mexico.  I had to get stitches at a hospital in Cancun a few years ago, and they do not have the best hospital facilities, in my opinion.

• Options

I would personally try to stay somewhere in the united states. We just went to hawaii (when I was 24 weeks). The reason we chose there for our "babymoon" was so that we would have adequate access to healthcare if need be. I don't think I would feel comfortable going out of the country at 28 weeksish pregnant just in case something were to happen.

With that being said...I have been to Aruba twice and have loved it. They supposedly have good hospitals and we considered going there for our babymoon but we both chickened out so we could stay in the states.

If you do go out of the country I would definitely get a list of recs from the MD...only drink bottled water...and make sure everything is cooked properly before you eat it.

Have fun deciding! We were both glad that we were able to take a trip before the baby comes! It's worth it!

• Options

imagebenifer224:
    Where would you want to go on vacation? I was looking at going to Aruba, St. Maarten or Mexico. Which one do you think would be best?

I would think Mexico,because it is so close or I saw a commercial about how Puerto Rico is running specials on resorts and flights... with that said if your OB says you cant be that far away or you are worried about going into labor early... its not as exotic, but me and the hubs had our "second honeymoon" when we were TTC at Concan/ the Frio.  You can find some really nice cabins that are secluded and very well upgraded with hot tubs and everything.  You can also rent lavish beach houses in Key Allegro ( Rockport) we got one and it was beautiful. Just throwing out ideas lol Sorry if i got off topic...

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

From Dallas, I would choose Mexico since you can fly direct to the Yucatan (Cozumel, Playa, Cancun:::shudder:::) and it will only take a couple hours. You would likely have to fly through Miami to get to Aruba and it's a three hour flight from there.

I'll be honest and say the 3.5hr flight home to LA from Arkansas at six months was miserable. I was swollen the entire time I was in LA. The humidity of the islands is going to be hard for most pregnant women. Aruba is more of a desert island than a tropic island, but still humid.

I'm thinking of going to FL at six-seven months. I will only go if my fil flies me there and back. He will fly at a lower altitude which will help with the swelling. 

• Options
    I have to chime in about Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire (The A,B,C Islands) as well. I've been to Curacao quite a few times and Bonaire as well. You will likely fly through Miami with possibly a layover in Montego Bay, Jamaica (an awesome layover btw). I've also flown through Puerto Rico on my way back from Curacao as well. I usually fly through Miami though. Either way, it's a long flight from Dallas at seven months pregnant since it's three hours south of Miami.
  • Options
    I would feel great doing either US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Hawaii.  Just being in the US or US territories would keep my health insurance policy active.  But yes I would go on vacation and have a wonderful time Smile
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Options
    lynseflynsef member

imageAMYfromKY:
    I would personally stay in the US or at least as close as the Bahamas, but that's just me.  I would not want to have to go to a hospital in Mexico!

Ditto

• Options

You do need to caution when traveling during pregnancy. I have fly to Europe 2-3 times a year and many times and noticed the authorities NOT allow pregnant women in because they are worried you are too far along and could give birth in their country. One time I watched them re-book this lady's flight and send her back and she was only maybe 6 months along! She didn't even get a chance to pick up her luggage!! 

Granted, that women was not a United States citizen and the European Union worries about people immigrating having children and getting their citizenship through their children... they may not be so harsh with someone coming from the United States... but you never know.  

I have never noticed this when traveling to Aruba, South/Central America, or the Caribbean but I would check before booking any flights and/or hotels! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"