Working Moms
Options

Anyone else feel guilty?

Since I work full time I feel guilty if I leave DD in the evenings since I only get to spend a few hours with her.  I'd like to go back to the gym for an hour or so 2-3 evenings a week but feel incredibly guilty spending time there instead of with her.  I should go after I put her to bed but by that time I'm exhausted and she still isn't sttn.  Anyone else feel that way?

Re: Anyone else feel guilty?

• Options
    I feel the exact same way and my DS is 14 months old! I even feel guilty going upstairs for 30 minutes to do an exercise tape. I've started taking him for walks after dinner now that it's nice out. I figure I'm getting more of a workout than I would otherwise and we're spending time together. Can you get one of those baby and mommy exercise DVDs? Then you can spend time with your DD and still get a workout. Good luck!
  • Options

Yes, that is a challenge for me too, because on my off time I want to spend the max time with DS.  But I cannot lose the baby weight and really want to start working out. 

I am thinking about starting to do workout videos at night after DS goes to bed.

Nathan Thomas, C-section (frank breech), September 22, 2008 Maren Anne, VBAC, April 6, 2010 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    since it's spring - why not just take her out for a walk? that can be your workout- and you're getting more time with her.  Then later this year when it's too cold/dark to do that after work- she'll probably be going to bed earlier- and you could hit the gym after she goes to sleep... or can you go to the gym during lunch? (that is what my DH does)
  • Options
    All the time.
  • Options
    Yes I do.  That is why I exercise after they go to bed (at 8:30) or on the weekends when DH and I are both home.  It takes every ounce of motivation for me to run or go to the gym that late on weeknights, but I know I need to workout to be happy.
  • Options
    Yeah, it was really hard for me to do that too when my kids were infants.  They usually went to sleep early or were up late and they did not STTN forever!  I used to try to fit in some exercise on my lunch hour or I'd take them for walks after work.  I also would try to wake up early (usually in the winter when we couldn't walk) and go on the elliptical at home or work out to a DVD.  Now that they're older (2 and 4), I can go work out after they're in bed.  We're considering joining a gym now where we can go on the weekends, drop the kids off at daycare for an hour, work out together and then go swimming, etc. with the kids.  To me, that is the best of both worlds, a litlte couple time, a little time to work on me and family time rolled into one.  Well worth the monthly dues, IMO.
  • Options

I work out twice a week during my lunch hour, and then try to work out once or twice on the weekend, usually while DS is napping or hanging out with DH, or I'll take him for walks so we have that time together. I wouldn't have the time or energy right now to work out in the evenings, and I also want to spend that time with DS. Could you squeeze in a work out or two during lunch? Even going for walks during that time might be nice. Or trying to get it in during the morning before your LO is up?

But really, don't stress out too much now about trying to fit in exercise. Your LO is still so young. I'm only just started working out again, and it is sporadic. Some days I'm too exhausted to go during lunch, but that's fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My dd is almost two and I still feel awful any second I don't spend with her b/c I still feel neglectful for going back to work, which is totally insane and unfair on myself.....point is, I know where you are coming from.  Now that it's nice, I take my dd for walks with me (in the stroller).  Other times, I get up from my desk and take brisk 10 minute walks where I can.  The days I work from home, I take a jog/walk around the neighborhood at lunch time. 

One piece of wisdom I found particularly helpful--and accurate--by taking care of yourself (and exercise is a HUGE part of that, no?), you ARE taking care of your child.  So, even if you can't fit it in with your child, fit it in anyway.  Start telling yourself you're doing it as much for your child as you are for you!

• Options

I don't know if I'd call it guilt........but since I'm away from my son so much for work I want to spend all the time that I can with him in the evenings/weekends.  So any housework/exercising that I do typically gets done after DS goes to bed.  It makes for a long day for me, but it's a fair trade-off since I get to spend more time with DS.

And like a pp said - I'm trying to incorporate as much exercise into our time together as possible......like going for a walk together.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Me!!!  It is hard and it happens on the weekends as well.  I used to never make plans during the week until after 7pm and tried to only make plans over nap time on the weekends but I've come to realize that I'm not happy if I don't do things for me from time to time and DH is the same way.  I don't go out all that often but I have started to do things more for me and not just all around the girls schedules and it makes things better for all of us.  Yes, I miss the time with them but I need to stay sane. 
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options

I think feeling guilty is virtually synonymous with being a working mom.  Along with exhaustion.  My husband badgers me to take more time to do things I want to do, but it is very difficult to give up time with the baby to do that ... even though I know it is wise in the long run. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I feel this way sometimes. I end up going to the gym at lunchtime and this seems to work pretty well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"