Working Moms
Options

Does your Daycare discipline effectively?

My twins are starting this fall at 21 months and I'm concerned they are going to develop bad behaviors like hitting, pushing and shoving.  I know two-year-olds typically do this and I know the daycare I picked does enforce timeouts, but I wonder if they will be consistent.  Saying doesn't necessarily mean enforcing, but I am curious if your child did develop some habits at daycare.  Several people I know have had their child in this daycare since it's opening last year so I know it has a good reputation.  Thoughts?

Re: Does your Daycare discipline effectively?

• Options

our daycare is good about consistent discipline. that being said- i think what you do at home is more important.  I am a former K teacher (and also worked in daycare before that) and can tell you that no matter what I did at school re: discipline- kids will ultimately behave the way their parents let them behave- at least when they are at home.

My DS knows what is acceptable at home- if he tries to pull anything he's learned at daycare he quickly learns it will not fly at home. 

the best thing is when both daycare and parents agree on discipline and are consistent together.

i don't think time outs are bad (we do them sometimes) but i also don't think that should be the only way to enforce rules--- natural consequences tend to work best (ie- you fight over a toy- the toy gets taken away, etc). 

• Options
    You put them around other children anywhere and they will pick it up quicker than you notice.  At our daycare, they just redirect the little ones.  Once they're in preschool, they give TOs.  And, IMO, a lot of the hitting and biting wouldn't happen if they intervened when kids are not sharing.  But, I know that they can't always do that too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

our daycare is good about consistent discipline. that being said- i think what you do at home is more important.  I am a former K teacher (and also worked in daycare before that) and can tell you that no matter what I did at school re: discipline- kids will ultimately behave the way their parents let them behave- at least when they are at home.

My DS knows what is acceptable at home- if he tries to pull anything he's learned at daycare he quickly learns it will not fly at home. 

the best thing is when both daycare and parents agree on discipline and are consistent together.

i don't think time outs are bad (we do them sometimes) but i also don't think that should be the only way to enforce rules--- natural consequences tend to work best (ie- you fight over a toy- the toy gets taken away, etc). 

ditto this exactly.  your home is your center and what you do or don't do there will make the most impact.

• Options
    AlisaSAlisaS member

I agree with the previous posters. Your kids absolutely will learn that stuff at daycare - it is developmental and pretty much unavoidable.

I see parents get really upset when their kid gets bitten and I know at some point their kids will be the biters.

• Options
    Ours is good at giving timeouts as well as written reports on behavior. But like the others have said, it's what you do at home that is most important.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Our DC uses time outs and takes things away if children fight over them.  For the most part I've found that my boys save their best behavior for DC and then fight, push/shove and steal each other's toys at home.  We use the same type of discipline at home so at least we are consistent.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options
    dpdwdpdw member

If you wonder about the consistency of discipline at your daycare you should talk to the other parents who have older kids there & ask their opinion. 

Like the pps said, what you do at home is of the utmost imporance, but you don't want your discipline underminded either. 

• Options
    jlw2505jlw2505 member
    My daycare is really consistant and I think they discipline well.  What has been key for us is the open communication with the teachers on what they are doing at school and what we are doing at home and making sure we are all on the same page.  I look at it as the fact that we are a team and just like DH and I need to do things the same, we need daycare to be doing the same things as well.  Yes, different things work at home vs at school but that is the case with anything.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    Our daycare's teachers are so great. I've seen them discipline kids (mine included) first-hand and I feel they're fair and consistent. They use time-outs when necessary but they don't jump on them as the first option. They're clear and direct in talking to the kids and letting them know expectations for behavior and if the warnings don't work they use time-outs. Our approach to discipline is the same, so I guess we naturally like the way they do things :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"