Houston Babies
Options

How cautious about swine flu w/newborn & 3 yo??

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but how cautious should I be with a newborn with this flu?  DS is 3 weeks old (ticker is wrong) and DD is 3 yers and in a mother's day out.  DH wants to keep her home on the chance she could be exposed and then expose DS.  I'm also worried about my family flying and then being around the kids.  My dad flies in from Russia on Monday.  He only saw DS the first two days and then had to fly out.  My parents and SIL are flying out to Georgia on Wed. and then returning on Sunday.  Not sure what the chances are they'll be exposed on the domestic flights...  So wwyd about these two situations??

Re: How cautious about swine flu w/newborn & 3 yo??

• Options
    I think I would be more worried about the 3yo than the newborn, since they tend to pick up everything and put it in their mouths.  From what I understand (and I could be wrong), but it is passed on by direct contact with fluids (coughs and sneezes), not airborne, and so it can only be contagious if the people you come into contact with have the flu symptoms.  I wouldn't worry about family visiting unless they appear to be sick (and FWIW, I don't let anyone who is sick come around my newborn yet).  If I have to take my baby out somewhere, I keep him in the car seat and cover it with a blanket.  Just use the same precautions you would around anyone who is sick... keep distance and frequent handwashing.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

by 3, kids really don't put much in their mouths anymore. they do have their hands on a lot of stuff, though. i sent my son to MDO yesterday. the whole place smelled like rubbing alcohol and bleach, so i felt pretty good about leaving him there. i would only worry if siblings from your daughter's class go toa school that has had a reported case.

in other swine news, the model released from Northwestern (which many people are considering the most accurate at this time) says about 1700 cases nationwide. that is infections, not deaths.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    the 3 y/o is not as much of concern as the NB. Make sure they wash hands before touching her and no kissing her if you are worried about exposure. Infants are a risk group. The actual flu is not really that bad but a NB has not had time to build her own immunity. Thankfully she has some of yours but I would be cautios
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"