Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

swine flu too close to home

dh just called from work. he works at a hospital, he said they had two possible cases there today. yikes!

Re: swine flu too close to home

• Options

Eek! Our family is trying to stay calm, but also to make sure we're doing things to decrease our risk. DH has been taking lysol wipes to work to clean the computer and phone that he shares with a co worker. We all wash hands often.

Hopefully we won't have any of the Nesties or Nestie Babies get sick. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Options

I'm in Chicago suburbs-- they closed a school in the next suburb over (St. Charles).  Boo.

I just heard on the nightly news that the US strain seems to be missing an amino acid compared to the Mexico strain (I think that's what they compared) which is perhaps why it's not as serious.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    im in chiago land... mom just told me they closed a school in Batavia too, and two in Joliet... dh works in Joliet!!
  • Options
    We have about 6 schools/daycares closed here.  I have a feeling they will all be open again on Monday. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    MrsHKMrsHK member

Yup, they closed a St Charles middle school at 1p today. Rotolo (down the street from my house) was closed this morning. I also got an email from the Batavia park district that any of their activities are canceled for at least the next 3 days.

Seriously, I think they're not doing much more then CYA and scaring the kids. The oldest girl I nanny came home today and immediately started talking about how scared she was about getting it. She goes to school in St Charles. We had a good talk about the facts and I pointed out that she even had the standard flu this winter. So she knows what it's like and it's nothing to be scared of. 

Proverbs 12:10 "A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals ChipMonkey 3/19/08 *** Turtle 1/26/10 *** CarBear 10/06/11
  • Options
    They have shut down our entire city.  I am not even kidding.  All schools are closed, festivals called off, etc.  It is a mess.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • Options
    imagetrizzie:
    They have shut down our entire city.  I am not even kidding.  All schools are closed, festivals called off, etc.  It is a mess.
    Where are you?
  • Options
    I live in Houston and they have started to shut down schools. I am a Teacher and this is all we hear about all day. We are to send any sick student to the clinic. This is all just to close to home. I don't want my DD to get sick. I wish I had days left to take off.
  • Options
    I am in DFW, Tx.
  • Options
    i'm in dfw also and they haven't shut down the entire city exactly, i mean businesses are still open, the mavs watch party is still scheduled to go on... but nearly all the schools are shut down and any activities relating
  • Options
    there were 3 probable cases not far from us and one at my niece's school.  They've now closed her school until the 11th...
  • Options
    OP, IIRC, you're the next town over from me...
  • Options
    imageMrsHK:

Yup, they closed a St Charles middle school at 1p today. Rotolo (down the street from my house) was closed this morning. I also got an email from the Batavia park district that any of their activities are canceled for at least the next 3 days.

Seriously, I think they're not doing much more then CYA and scaring the kids. The oldest girl I nanny came home today and immediately started talking about how scared she was about getting it. She goes to school in St Charles. We had a good talk about the facts and I pointed out that she even had the standard flu this winter. So she knows what it's like and it's nothing to be scared of. 

Can you come over and have a little talk like this with ME? The news is totally freaking me out. Thankfully DH has your kind of logic but he mostly laughs at my paranoia.

• Options
    i'm in the outskirts of san antonio and the local district just closed all of it's schools and daycares are shutting down - all of this is within 25 minutes of us.  everything is canceled and church attendance is down and everyone waves at the peace offering instead of hugging/handshaking, etc.  and ds had a meltdown during church last sunday so i don't know if they did or didn't do communion - but wonder what they will do this week?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    trizzietrizzie member
    I should clairfy - I am on the FW side of DFW.  FW has definitely shut down most everything, especially in comparison to Dallas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"