Stay at Home Moms
Options

Insurance

I have a question regarding health insurance. We are currently expecting our first child, and both my husband and I would like nothing more than for me to be able to be a SAHM. However, my husband is self-employed. He is currently under my health insurance. I have looked into private insurances. They are kind of costly, but we could manage. However, I am having a hard time finding plans that have maternity coverage ( when we would have another child.) Some have an optional benefit of maternity coverage, but it looks like they only cover a very minimal amount ( ~$2000.00).  I was wondering if anyone else has gone through a similar situation, or has any advice? I would love to be a SAHM, but realistically, if we were to have another child in a couple years, we could not afford to pay for it all out of our pockets.

Re: Insurance

• Options
    This is what we are looking at as well.  Maternity coverage is an additional 5,000 deductible.  :(  It stinks.  I don't know if there is anyway around it.  Maybe a part-time job with benefits?  I'm sorry.  I wish it were easier to be a SAHM here.
  • Options

My husband is also self employeed and was the only employee (of his s-corp). In order for us to qualify for a policy, we had to add me to the payroll (as a book keeper) and so now technically we have 2 employees and qualify for "small group"    (2-51 employees) insurance through BCBS. Granted every state is different and here in NJ we are paying $936/mo for no deductable health ins + dental. When we have a child he/she will go under one of our policys so that one of us is still a "single" policy and the other will be a "parent/child" policy.

As for the payroll, we write out weekly paychecks to me and I deposit them right into our joint account so that the money goes back to him. Its a small way to get around the self employeed, one employee problem =)

J+E ~ 08/25/2007   DD#1 ~ 05/11/2010   DD#2 ~ 09/25/2013   DD#3 ~ 06/09/2016   Baby #4 Due ~ 01/16/2023

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    have you check out your local Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield policies?  in our state, they have a plan that covers maternity.  there's no minimum coverage amount and no separate deductible for maternity.  it is a little costly, but it's something. 
  • Options

My husband and I are both self employed and it is very difficult for us to get help with any health insurance luckily I have a great maternity coverage right but the cost is sky high I have called other insurances and the agents told me to stick with what I have.  I did get our health insurance through ehealthinsurance.com. Check out what they have to offer.  To us it is like a 2nd mortgage payment and I hope that something will be done to help us citizens.  We did not qualify for Chip (which is in my state)  to help with our cost.  I am working 2 jobs and I am hoping that I can find a little bit more hours with my other job to help get coverage for health insurance.  Good luck!!! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"