Multiples
Options

Drugs to increase milk production?

So I've been trying the blessed thistle and fenugreek and not had much luck.  I'm not sure if I'm not taking enough or what. 

I called my doctor and he offered to call in a Rx but both of the options he gave me (Reglan or Domperidone) have some major side effects!

Any ideas?

Re: Drugs to increase milk production?

• Options

I can't believe you posted this, because I JUST today purchased some domperidone on line. I had been thinking about this for ages and finally asked about it on the Breastfeeding board. Turns out that several nesties had a good experience with an online pharmacy so I decided to take the plunge and purchase it. I'm more than a bit nervous about ordering something online like this.

I had asked my OB about it and she had said she had used it herself many years ago (she is a MoM too) but that she couldn't prescribe it for me because the FDA doesn't approve it for lactation. That's great your doctor can write a prescription! Everything I've read indicates that domperidone actually has very few side effects and is considered extremely safe (as opposed to Reglan, which does have more se's.) 

• Options

I take Dom and have had no side effects at all (aside from increased hunger). The MAJOR side effect with Reglan is there is a strong link to depression with long term use. The only documented side effect with Dom is when it it used through an IV, not orally. I have seen a drastic difference in my milk production once I started the Dom. If you have any questions, you can email me at jennmaron at att dot net.

GOod luck!!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I took Domperidone and had NO side effects.  I would not take Reglan because a very common side effect is depression...I already have mild depression and wouldnt want to make it worse.
  • Options
    I also took Dom with zero problems.
  • Options
    I took Reglan and I did have depression as a result.  It lasted well after I stopped BFing and off the Reglan.  I'd suggest trying the Dom.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"