Northern California Babies
Options

hey, you photography type folk!

I currently have a P&S that I want to replace because it's a POS. :P It's virtually impossible to take the kind of photos I want of my kid -- even when we're out and about, the amount of time it takes to do its think is RIDICULOUS. I have a fairly large amount of experience with non-digital SLRs but this would be my first digital SLR.

I am trying to spend below $1k, and a friend has given me the option of buying his Canon 20D (he has between 21K and 25K on it) for $300. I was going to get the 17-85 lens on top of that for about 20% off, bringing the total to around $660, but then a coworker said, "Why don't you get the Rebel XSi instead?"

I know the 20D is a few years old, but I was wondering your take. I don't think that with a new Rebel I'd be able to afford the different lens and would probably use the 18-55.

What are your opinions between the two?

Re: hey, you photography type folk!

• Options

I love my Canon Rebel xti, I got it in 2007. If I wanted to upgrade now I would go to a 5D and that is WAY out of price range  at the moment. All that said I never blow my pictures up that huge, but I think I can go up to a 18x20 or something life size like that. I personally would get the cheaper SLR and then a more expensive lens, but I think the lens makes most of the difference. I am not sure the difference between the xti vs. the xsi is going to be that great just starting out.

I have a 50 mm f/1.8 that was $80.00 for the canon and it is a GREAT lens. (got it on Amazon)

I took these pictures with it.

https://babydadventure.blogspot.com/2008/05/bath-time.html

• Options
    The Rebel xsi is great, even with the kit lens. My BIL got it and his shots looked awesome. You can always find good ones, gently used on Craigslist. Try B&H photo, they have fair prices and great customer service.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"