Indiana Babies
Options

Homemade baby food

I inherited a deep freezer from my grandmother, so I was looking around at freezer recipies.  One of the websites I was checking out has recipes for homemade baby food too!  Once A Month Mom 

I'm starting to introduce meats right now, and she has several recipes on there!  Yay!  I think I'm going to try the Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Apples.

I made my own recipe up for Beef Stew, if anyone is interested.  Ellie seems to like it!

3 small steaks--it was a 1.5 lb package

2 bags of frozen veggies for stew--it had carrots, potatoes, celery, peas, and onions

Bake the steaks in the oven at 400 until they are well done.  Let cool.  Meanwhile, cook the veggies according to package directions and let cool.  Cut the steaks into small cubes and puree.  (I didn't add any water to it)  Add the steaks in with the veggies and mix well.  Then puree the entire mixture, adding water from cooking or formula until you get your desired consistency.  This recipe made almost 4 ice cube trays for me, so I made two different "stages" of textures.  You can definitely halve it if you want!

I love making my own baby food for Ellie--it saves so much money, too!  I got the steaks for $.85 and the veggies for $1 each.  $2.85 for about 24 servings of food is great!!

Re: Homemade baby food

• Options

OK....so I never thought of ever doing this, but baby food is freakin' expensive. Plus, I am home everyday, so I feel I have time to do this.

I'm completely clueless...what do you use to puree? I have a blender, will that work? Or do I need to get a food processor? How many cubes do you use a feeding?

There is a baby food that is chicken and apples and Gracie loves that. I would have never thought to mix the two. She loves the fruits, but is not a fan of the vegetables at all, I have to mix them with the fruit.

~Micah and Danae 6-17-06~
    ~GRACIE JEAN 7-5-08~

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Danae!  First off, Hi!!  Gracie looks so grown up in your sig pic! 

Second off, you definitely need to try making your own!  It's really a lot of fun and not time consuming at all.  I usually just make it while I'm cooking dinner for Logan and me.  Go to this website, and look around there.  They have all the information you need.  I use a Kitchen Aid mini food chopper, but you can use a blender too.  I think Val uses a blender for hers.  I inherited a big food processor from my grandmother, but haven't had a chance to use it yet, or see if it works for that matter.  haha. 

I use 2 cubes per feeding now.  In the beginning I used just 1.  We're going to move to 3 soon, since she is eating more. 

Start off with something easy, like peas.  I just get a bag of frozen peas.  Annie has easy instructions on her blog

I've also made apples, bananas, carrots, and sweet potatoes from fresh produce.  I made peaches using a bag of frozen peaches. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you! I am definitely going to give it a go. We will see how well I do.  I'm just tired of buying so much baby food and it goes so fast.
    ~GRACIE JEAN 7-5-08~

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Danae - making your own food is crazy easy!  I would imagine even easier now than when they're smaller (like Marion) since Gracie is used to more texture and stuff in her food already.

We've made avocado, sweet potatoes, peas, bananas, and pears so far and it's really, really, really easy.  I use a big ol mamajama food processor because that's what we have, but I think as long as you don't need to make the food pure liquid a blender or a little mini chop would work great as well.

• Options
    What about the magic bullet? We got one from our wedding and I haven't used it yet..do you think  that would work well? I know it's not big, so I couldn't do a whole lot at once, but just something I thought of.
    ~GRACIE JEAN 7-5-08~

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That would probably work, but like you said, it's small.  You could at least use it to test out making something to see if you and Gracie like it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"