Baby Names

Is Brayden that bad?

I keep seeing comments on this board knocking the ayden trend (which I do agree has gotten a little ridiculous) but I have to admit that I love the name Brayden/Braden.  I just think it sounds nice and the nn Brady is adorable.  Is it really that bad?  Thoughts?

Re: Is Brayden that bad?

• I prefer just Brady. It's a classic Irish name. I think Braden just sounds trendy spin off of Aidan.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • dpdwdpdw member

imagenewportbride715:
    I prefer just Brady. It's a classic Irish name. I think Braden just sounds trendy spin off of Aidan.

This.

• Loading the player...
  • I don't know. I can't even think of Brayden/Braden with an open mind. By the time I heard of it, there were like 1000 all at once and everyone was talking about the "ayden trend." I will say that Braden is better than Brayden. I hate the y.

I won't knock you for liking it since I actually like Caden if it weren't for influence of all the -aden haters. And how popular all these names are, plus the various spellings.

As for Brady, I personally like it as a name by itself. But I am biased- it's my maiden name and will be DS#2's middle name.

• It's not a bad name for me, just way too overused. When I think of the name, I think of Braeden as the spelling, although I am not sure why.
  • I don't think it's bad, but then again I love Aidan/Caden/etc
  • LMS05LMS05 member

imageashleycharee:
    I don't think it's bad, but then again I love Aidan/Caden/etc

Surprisingly me too. My cousin is Hayden and he is now 13? so I loved it before it became popular. My friend had a son Aidan a few years ago. I love it.?

• I like Braeden, but then I have like it for years. The Aidan trend isn't really in the town we live in, so it wouldn't be a big deal.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• I actually like the sound of most of the -aiden names. I would never use them b/c of how trendy they are however.

That being said I hate the name Brayden. It sounds like "I'm Braidin' my hair."

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes, it is that bad.
  • When we were deciding on a name for ds, we chose only B names.  I threw out Braden/Braeden/Brayden one day and no one in my family had even heard the name.  It's definitely not popular here- I don't know any kids with the name.  The funny part is they thought it was too "out there" and not mainstream enough.  They should have come on the Nest!  I liked Brady better anyway so we went with that. 
    3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• I've never liked Braden/Brayden.

And yes, the "aiden" thing is totally off the wall ridiculous these days.

• I dont like any of the aden names... and my husband is Haydn. lol
  • DH's name is Braeden so of course I love it!  Seriously, he has received compliments on his name his entire life.  I think it's just the fact that there's a new explosion of little boys with this name (and ones that rhyme) that make it lose some of it's appeal.  Still, I think it's a nice solid name.  It may be trendy, but definitely not silly.
  • I'm a victim of a popular name, and can't you just hear it now?  When your son is on his little baseball team the coach will be calling out "Alright, I need Brayden S., Brayden M., Brayden H, and Brayden T.!" Please don't do this!!! I HATED this!!!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imageChipsgal:
    I'm a victim of a popular name, and can't you just hear it now?  When your son is on his little baseball team the coach will be calling out "Alright, I need Brayden S., Brayden M., Brayden H, and Brayden T.!" Please don't do this!!! I HATED this!!!

it's not that popular

• imageNikiT:

imageChipsgal:
    I'm a victim of a popular name, and can't you just hear it now?  When your son is on his little baseball team the coach will be calling out "Alright, I need Brayden S., Brayden M., Brayden H, and Brayden T.!" Please don't do this!!! I HATED this!!!

it's not that popular

Honey wait till that child is 5, and he'll just be a Last Name! Trust
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I think Braden is a good, solid name.  I only know of one little boy named Braden so I don't know if it's really that popular in my area (I've only seen one or two of them in the birth announcements section of the newspaper).  FWIW, my name was ranked #1 on the SS charts for many years in a row and, despite that, I never really encountered the "Ashley T., Ashley S., Ashley C." dilemma in school.  Typically there was only one other Ashley in my classes at the very most, and usually I was the only one. 

This is just a theory of mine, but I think that some parents are trying so hard to give their kids unique names that it's eventually going to backfire (i.e., a name that they thought was unique ends up becoming popular anyway, etc.).  That's exactly what happened to my parents when they named my sister Kaitlin back in 1986.  No one had ever heard of it before in our neck of the woods so they thought they were being "different" (we lived out in BFE lol).  Then we moved to Florida where we were literally surrounded by little Kaitlins everywhere.  You just never know.  Go with the name that you like!

BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Yes, it is that bad!

I cannot stand the name...partly because it is so popular and partly because I have a very difficult student with that name.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    imageimageimage
  • imagenewportbride715:
    I prefer just Brady. It's a classic Irish name. I think Braden just sounds trendy spin off of Aidan.
    This.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • They are both nice names. 
  • I liked Brayden before it became so popular.  But to be honest I have yet to meet a person IRL with this name so I guess in my area its not as popular.   

• Honestly, it is not my style, mostly because it sounds like "braiding" to me.

Where I live, everyone drops the ends of -ing verbs. (walkin', talkin', etc.), so it sounds exactly like braidin' hair.

It isn't a horrible name at all, so if you love it you should use it. I prefer it spelled Braden.

• imagenewportbride715:

Agreed.

• I am a hairstylist meaning I see lots of people and I only know one Brayden...actually where I live I only know of one Aiden and of one Caden...Im sure there are more, but my point is if I work with the general public I would think I would know several if they are as popular as everyone thinks...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think there are definitely worse names.  Jayden, for example.  I think that is worse.  My main problem with Braden/Brayden/Braeden (besides the "Y," which I really just think makes it look feminine), is that it seems like a made up name.  I'm not sure where the name came from -- I'm sure someone will post and tell me that it's an old Scottish name or something -- but it just seems like someone liked Aiden, and so decided to throw a "B" on the beginning.  So, that's my main problem with it.  I don't think it's a horrible name by any means!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • People, you haven't heard this name IRL bc it exploded within the past few years! Majority of these kids aren't in school yet, they are still babies and toddlers. The sound of the name itself is becoming popular and climbing the charts, everyone has a different spelling though it seems. I, personally, don't mind the sound of it (even though the braiding hair thing makes me cringe), but the huge skyrocketing of it recently makes me dislike it (trendy- will sceam late 2000s to me in the future). I'm anxious to see 2008 results...

https://nametrends.net/name.php?name=Brayden

https://nametrends.net/name.php?name=Brayden#Braden

• My five year old nephew is Braden. When my sister named him that, nobody in my family had ever heard of the name before. Now, clearly, it's everywhere.

The name is NMS, but I do prefer Braden to Brayden. I agree with PP who said Brayden reminds her of the noise a donkey makes!

I also agree with those who say if you like the nickname Brady, just use that as a given name.

• I like the name Brayden.  But then I also like Aidan and Brady.  The important thing is that you like the name. 
    imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • I think its just too common and is part of the Brayden/Aiden/Kaden craze.
  • Yes it is that bad. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, redeeming about this name. The popularity, the superfluous 'y', the fact that it DOES sound like "I'm braidin' my hair", the fact that the horrendous noise that donkies make is referred to as a "bray", the fact that it follows the -ayden trend... it all adds up to awful, just awful.

Brady, on the other hand, is a great name.  Please, if you intend to call him this, just name him this!

Married in 2008 - DD born in 2010 - EDD 6.15.2012!
  • I dont think it is that bad, just trendy.  I completely avoid names that are super popular or too trendy. 

I really like Brady though.

• I think it's horrendous.  Hate the name Brady too.
  • These responses are hysterical.  While I do love the name and I know it's impossible to find a name that everyone will like, I wouldn't name my son something that most people either hate or say it's not THAT bad.  I guess I need to keep searching.
  • i love the name Brayden. i think it's adorable. It sounds Irish to me. I also really like Brady.

gl!

• imageJnJHud:

imagenewportbride715:

Agreed.

Ditto!!  Brady is on our list.  Brayden... sounds... made up.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"