D.C. Area Babies
Options

HSG

Re: HSG

• Options
    I had one and I didn't have a bad experience with mine, no real pain as my tubes weren't blocked.  Is there something specific you wanted to know?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • Options
    I had one.  It wasn't too bad.  Take three advil while you're waiting for it to start.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Nothing specific.  I just found out I am going to get one done today and was just curious.  Did you know the results immediately or did you have to go back to your OB to find out?  Better to schedule in the morning and go back to work or afternoon and go to the couch?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I can be kind of uncomfortable, and a bit embarrassing.  I did mine at GWU hospital - the nurse and doctors were all very nice, but it does involve a lot of poking around in your personal space, and contorting yourself so they can get a good image.

You should know the results right away - basically they inject dye into your uterus and if it spills out the fallopian tubes, they're open.  You can see that happen right on the screen.  My tubes were open so there was just some cramping from the dye being put in (like menstrual cramps, but you're stretched out on an examining table and can't curl up like you would in your own bed).  If your tubes are blocked, I've heard it hurts.  (I'm not trying to scare  you -- sorry if it did.)

I went back to work in the afternoon, but wish I'd just gone home.  I found it more emotionally stressful than anything else.

• Options
    My RE did mine so he told me right there that everything looked clear.  I had it done in the afternoon so I didn't have to go back to work, but since I was clear it really didn't hurt.  I kind of felt bad that my DH had left work early to be with me since it really didn't end up being a big deal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • Options
    Thanks!!  I only have one tube, so maybe it will hurt half as much!! LOL!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I've had two with very different experiences.  First one was in the hospital radiation dept. recommended by my Gyno.  I took nothing to relax me (such as ibuprofen).  It was done by a female radiologist and nurse.  The table was really uncomfortable and I had the worst cramps ever afterwards.  I really was holding my stomach like a pregnant lady in labor in the middle of the emergency room wanting to scream at my husband because he was texting on his blackberry while walking to the car which only slowed down the entire process of me getting home swiftly.

A couple months later after being referred to  SHFS, I had another HSG done in Rockville and it was smooth sailing.  This time I took 2 ibuprofen before, table was much more comforable and I felt a little cramping but only because the Dr was trying to push the dye through my tube. 

Both ended in the same result - blocked tube & I've heard in some instances having a blocked tube makes it hurt worse.  Not sure if there's any truth to it, but taking ibuprofen surely did alleviate the cramping.

image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

i have to get one soon too, it's eye opening to read these responses! Tongue Tied

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"