Trying to Get Pregnant

Target brand pregnancy test question..

Good morning,

I'm new here! Hoping you can help.

I took a Target brand "early result" pregancy test this morning. It is 2 days before my missed period. The result window had a very faint vertical line (the control line is horizontal in the other window). Any idea if this is a positive or negative? I am confused because the faint line is going the oppposite direction of the control. (FWIW Target tests do not give a + just a -- in the result window).

I've googled and read the test, but I can not find anything mentioning the line going the other way. I plan on testing again in a few days, but you know how anxious you can get! Confused

Thanks for your help ladies!!

Re: Target brand pregnancy test question..

• What do the directions say?  PIP the test and type us the directions then maybe we can help you more

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i would suggest reading the instructions.
  • Loading the player...
  • That would throw you for a loop! Ditto what Moo said. If you can take a pic of it and post it and let us know what the directions say it would be very helpful!  You may just have a faulty test.
  • What do the instructions say a positive looks like?
  • imageFutureMrs.Thomaston:
    i would suggest reading the instructions.

I did. It does not mention this scenario.

• Did you maybe not lay the test flat and the dye got screwed up??  Post it for us, please
  • You probably tested too early.  Wait two days and test again.  gl.
  • imageLeenie_89:
    What do the instructions say a positive looks like?

"a blue line in the result window"

But, the picture showing a positive shows the line in the same direction as the control .

I tried taking a picture, but the line is so faint that it isn't showing up well! Damn camera!!!

• No, I did have it sitting flat.

I'll assume it was a faulty test and re-test in a couple days! Thanks ladies!!

• Wait, POAS.com says that the control line should be vertical, meaning up and down when you are looking at it. The test line should be horizontal if it is positive.

A lot of Target tests are blue dye tests, also, which frequently give false positives.

Here, which is it:

https://www.peeonastick.com/hpt/+.html

Get a digital.

• Ok, you answered while I was typing. Don't test with blue dye tests.

Get a digital.

• imageLeenie_89:

Wait, POAS.com says that the control line should be vertical, meaning up and down when you are looking at it. The test line should be horizontal if it is positive.

A lot of Target tests are blue dye tests, also, which frequently give false positives.

Here, which is it:

https://www.peeonastick.com/hpt/+.html

Get a digital.

Awesome, thanks! I will bookmark this site..and get a digital!

• imageLeenie_89:

Ok, you answered while I was typing. Don't test with blue dye tests.

Get a digital.

Thanks.

• this actually happened to me. i took another one and it was negative. GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hate the Target tests.  Try another brand and keep us posted!
    Kelly Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It may be already posted, but I just saw this in the link that the OP provided.

26. My test developed a line, but it's going the wrong way. Or it's in the wrong place. Or it's the wrong color. Is it positive? No. If your test develops a line but it's not in the proper place for a "positive" result, the test is negative. A true positive line is caused by the chemicals and dye "sticking" to the antibody strip in the test. This antibody strip is in the "proper" place. If the chemicals and dye don't stick there, the result is negative.

It is common for a test to develop a line where the wick (the dipping/peeing end) meets the cellulose strip (the smooth white test area.) This is because the dipping end contains a "sandwich" (two strips with the dye/reagent in the middle) and is much thicker than the cellulose (thin, smooth.) The difference in thicknesses sometimes makes residual dye pool in that area. This can also happen when less urine is applied to the test (not enough to make all the dye cross the test.) This is still a negative result. These lines can usually only be seen when a test is disassembled or when using a dip-type test rather than a test encased in a plastic handle.

Sometimes a test will develop some streaking as the dye crosses the window, looking like a wrong-way line, like this:

This streak will likely fade or disappear after awhile. Even if it doesn't, the test should be considered negative. If you are not sure where a positive result would appear, read the instructions that came in the test box.

If the line is the wrong color, it is negative and/or defective. Again, the chemicals and dye stick to the antibody strip in a very specific way.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagep0nd77:

It may be already posted, but I just saw this in the link that the OP provided.

26. My test developed a line, but it's going the wrong way. Or it's in the wrong place. Or it's the wrong color. Is it positive? No. If your test develops a line but it's not in the proper place for a "positive" result, the test is negative. A true positive line is caused by the chemicals and dye "sticking" to the antibody strip in the test. This antibody strip is in the "proper" place. If the chemicals and dye don't stick there, the result is negative.

It is common for a test to develop a line where the wick (the dipping/peeing end) meets the cellulose strip (the smooth white test area.) This is because the dipping end contains a "sandwich" (two strips with the dye/reagent in the middle) and is much thicker than the cellulose (thin, smooth.) The difference in thicknesses sometimes makes residual dye pool in that area. This can also happen when less urine is applied to the test (not enough to make all the dye cross the test.) This is still a negative result. These lines can usually only be seen when a test is disassembled or when using a dip-type test rather than a test encased in a plastic handle.

Sometimes a test will develop some streaking as the dye crosses the window, looking like a wrong-way line, like this:

This streak will likely fade or disappear after awhile. Even if it doesn't, the test should be considered negative. If you are not sure where a positive result would appear, read the instructions that came in the test box.

If the line is the wrong color, it is negative and/or defective. Again, the chemicals and dye stick to the antibody strip in a very specific way.

Thanks!! This is exaclty what my test looked like. I tried googling before posting, but wasn't coming up with anything too convincing. I'm going to retest on Friday, and will update everyone :) Thanks again for all the help.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"