1st Trimester
Options

How many calories do you eat per day?

Have you been keeping track at all? Normally when not pregnant I eat between 1200-1500 a day. I haven't been keeping track lately but I am sure that I have been eating more than that because I am always nauseous/hungry and thus always eating. I am trying really hard to have a healthy pregnancy (last time I gained 60+ lbs and I don't want to do that again.) But, I am not sure what a healthy calorie amount would be considering that what I normally eat (when not pregnant) is considered to be a little low.....

Re: How many calories do you eat per day?

• Options
    no idea.  But today, I've had a caffeine free coke, chick-fil-a (8 pack of nuggets, waffle fries and a lemonade), and multigrain cheerios with 2% milk... and water.  It's almost time for an evening snack (we had a late lunch)... but I"m not sure what I want... maybe a smoothie?  I have some more yogurt and frozen fruit.  I'll probably put a little protein in it too... or maybe I'll just do a banana, PB, and chocolate protein... and a squirt of reduced sugar chocolate syrup.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was eating 1200 a day before I was pregnant. I haven't been tracking now but I can guess that I am barely making that on most days even though I know I should be adding 300 calories. It won't be this way the whole pregnancy though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i don't keep track.  from what i have read i think you only need to add 100 to 200 calories a day provided you started at a healthy weight.  has your doctor mentioned anything about weight gain?  does your current doctor know how much you gained last time?  in the first trimester 3-5 lbs of gain is a good goal, again provided you started at a healthy weight.

with regards to your prepregnancy calorie intake - did that amount maintain your weight or were you trying to lose?  i think that will also tell you if adding 100 - 200 calories is appropriate.

hope this helps. oh and obviously you want to add healthy and nutrient rich calories!

• Options
    I have absolutely no idea!  I don't think I am eating too much more than I usually do but I am trying to spread it out so that I eat every 3 hours or so.  I am finding this helps with my nausea. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I honestly am not keeping track of my calories now.  When I was dieting I did, but now I think I would drive myself crazy. I'm eatting what sounds like something I could keep down (with in reason obviously) and lucky that hasn't included pints of ice cream or anything crazy!!
  • Options
    i really watched my calories before i was PG, but now the hunger and nausea come and go at such weird intervals that I just eat what sounds good whenever I am actually hungry.
  • Options

"What to Expect" says you should eat an additional 300 calories if you're normal weight, probably more if you're underweight, and your doctor tells you to put on more weight, maybe not any extra if you are overweight - again, up to your doctor.

I typically eat 1200-1500 not pregnant, and I can tell you I haven't been eating enough and have been getting faint when I don't...it's hard to balance a new diet when you're used to eating a certain way.

• Options
    probably too many, lol!
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Options
    I good guideline is 300 more than your pre-pg calories
  • Options

50 billion.

dude, I have no idea.  I have too many other thoughts in my head than to count calories.  I eat when I'm hungry, choose smart things, & that's it.

• Options
    I have no clue, I eat what sounds good when I am hungry!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"