North Carolina Babies
Options

Some starting solids questions

I am so excited to start solids! I know it'll probably be a lot of trouble once we start, but I'm excited anyway. Maddie's 6 month appt is the Monday after next, so we'll discuss it with the pedi then and hopefully start that week!

1)Do you feed formula/BM before or after solids?

2) Did your DC start drinking less formula/BM once you staretd solids? I'm a little worried about this one b/c Maddie only drinks about 28 oz a day now, so I'm hoping she won't drop any bottles.

3) Anyone start with oatmeal and not do rice cereal at all? That's my plan b/c of M's constipation issues.

Any other tips on starting out? I've read a couple of baby food books and I've been spending a lot of time on wholesomebabyfood.com, so that's helped me figure things out a bit. We've been letting M sit in her high chair and hold her spoon while we eat dinner, and she loves to imitate us by sticking her spoon in her mouth and chewing- so cute!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Some starting solids questions

• Options

1. Babies get BM/Formula before solids.

2. Nate hasn't decreased his amt yet.  It's on my list to ask the pediatrician on Monday though.  I'm not sure when that switch takes place.

3. That's what we did.  Nate has never had rice cereal.

My only tip is to be relaxed about it and don't stress if she isn't into it.  When we first introduced Nate to solids at 6 months, he really wasn't interested.  The only thing he seemed to like was cereal.  By 7 months he started to get a lot more interested, and we were able to skip most purees and go straight to table foods at 8 months.  Every baby is different in this area, so just go with the flow and it'll make everything much easier.  :)

• Options

we haven't started and won't until 6 months. these are our plans:

1. before. solids are only for fun at first!

2. i don't know. as long as you offer formula first, she probably won't back off.

3. planning on it. rice cereal is pretty devoid of any actual nutrition...

we're not planning on starting with purees. we'll probably start with oatmeal for about a week to make sure he tolerates it, then move to avocado slices, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and broccoli spears. yum!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

1.  I feed BM before, but not right before.  Usually I feed her, then help DH get dinner ready, then feed her solids.

2.  Nope, I haven't noticed a decrease in her nursing.

3.  I wish I hadn't started with cereal.  She had never had constipation issues until we did that.  I probably fed it to her for less than a week before quitting.

Then we started with pears, followed by avocado, sweet potato, green beans, squash and now prunes.  So far she likes them all!  Smile

Good luck!

Baby J is here! Born on her mama's birthday.

11 pounds, 7 ounces and 23" long at birth!

My Bio

• Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm sure I'll have more questions once we actually start Smile. I'm glad all of you said to feed a bottle before the solids. That's what I've always read,  but then I noticed on the 0-6 boards that a lot of people feed solids first. I knew the NC ladies would have the correct answer!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"