Special Needs

SSI?

How do you find out if you (well, your child) qualifies for SSI? Do you have to go in and apply, or can the application be done online? Thanks for any info! I'm trying to limit DS's germ exposure so I'd like to avoid the whole pull a number and wait in a crowded room thing. 

Re: SSI?

• https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-child-ussi.htm

Here's a link that expains the guidelines (child has to be blind or disabled - and if disabled the condition has to be expected to last a minimum of 12 months, etc)

You'll have to go in and apply - because you'll have to provide several documents.

Hannah

• You can also request a phone interview, but will eventually have to go in to sign documents. This may safe you time and germ exposure.
  • Loading the player...
  • I went in and my office told me to apply online.  After I did that then they set up a phone interview and once he was approved I had to go in to sign stuff and prove income.  Be prepared for the interview.  Write down all info about your child's disablility and his "symptoms".  It really helped me to remember everything.  Also, have something in writing from a formal diagnosis or your pedi.  Good luck.  It's a long process but completely worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"