Working Moms
Options

How can I make going back to work as painless as possible?

I will be starting a brand new job in 2 weeks. I have started doing a morning routine with DS to get him used to getting up early. I have also started pumping and storing milk. I have picked out the daycare I will use. I am not extremely happy with it, but it is the best I could find in our area that fits our budget. I am so scared to take my little one to daycare. I have tried to expose him to new people as much as I can, but I still have this fear that he is going to freak out when I take him in that first day and hand him off. I thought about enrolling him next week and taking him in for a couple of days for a few hours at a time so he could get used to it, but I don't know if the daycare will allow that. What have you ladies done during your transition from SAHM to Working Mom? Please help! tia! I'm SO nervous!

Re: How can I make going back to work as painless as possible?

• Options

Take a deep breath.

Chances are pretty good that this will be harder for you than it will be for him.  Your fear that he will "freak out" is probably not going to happen.  Sure, he might cry or wimper a bit, but it won't last long.

If you're not 100% with your day care, you need to try to find one that you ARE 100% with.  That will be your biggest help - knowing that you fully trust the people you leave your most valuable asset in life with every day.  Why are you not extremely happy with it?  Are the kids there unhappy?  Do you not like the providers?  You need to start thinking about why you're unhappy and work to change it.  Is it just that you're unhappy to have to send him back at all?

FWIW, WRT not being happy with day care: when we were first looking, I was able to get 1 in-home interview.  I couldn't put my finger on it, but I just wasn't 100% there.  If she had been our only option, I would have sent DD there and been ok, but she wasn't.  We are 100% thrilled with where we're at (although it's admittedly a bit more expensive, it's worth it knowing that it's great for DD).  We then had a few more opportunities to find a center 1) more convenient or 2) much less expensive.  We turned them both down because, again, we're 100% where we are.  Why mess with a good thing?

What really helped me the first week is that DH does the drop off and pick up.  So the last person I see her with every day is him.  For the first couple of weeks, although I logically knew where she was all day, I could trick my heart into thinking that she was with DH all day, since I last saw them together.  Then, when I had to drop off/pick up, it was much easier.

The smile you get at the end of the day is priceless.  You never have to worry that he'll forget that you're Mom.  He won't.  Now, DD will look at me and have one of two reactions when I pick her up.  Either 1) she crawls right over, or 2) she goes back to playing because she's having such a good time.  Both make me very happy.

It can be hard, but it does get easier.  Like I said, I suggest finding an arrangement that you're 100% with, though.  That will be your biggest asset.

• Options
    definitely ask your daycare if you can do some practice runs.  Our center had us bring DD in for 2 hours and we stayed with her, then a couple days later we left her there without us for 2 hours.   I started work on a Tuesday so I could bring her for her first full day on Monday.  I wanted to be able to rescue her if I needed to.   I didn't have to - she did great.   Daycare is MUCH harder on the mom than it is on the baby.  DD loves it there.  Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Call them and see if you can go in with your DC for a couple hours next week  I think that will help ease both of your fears.

If you can, drop off late and pick up early the first week.  So, maybe your DH can drop off a little later and you can pick up? 

• Options

It sounds like you are planning ahead to prepare, which is the best thing you can do to get ready.  My thought is that your concerns with the DC may just be your nerves about leaving your child for the first time.  However, if you have obvious concerns with the DC, try to address them, and if necessary, select another DC.  It would not be normal if you weren't worried.  I cried a lot the first few days.  If you can stop by the DC within the next few days, I think it is a good idea.  Also, can you work short days the first few days you return to work?  Good luck.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageTaylor44:

It would not be normal if you weren't worried. 

I disagree.  I wasn't worried a bit.  I was ready to go back to work, and I was 100% comfortable with where we were sending DD. 

• Options
    stop fixating.  the more i fixate about something, the more anxious i got. just enjoy the time you have right now w/ ds.  there's no point in worrying.  u have to return to work and your ds has to be in daycare.  if it doesn't work out, it's not the end of the world.  u'll find other options.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"