Austin Babies
Options

FYI/PSA: Melamine in US formula

Re: FYI/PSA: Melamine in US formula

• Options
    i just saw this. a friend forwarded it to me. i found the following quote interesting "[The FDA is ] unable to identify any melamine exposure level as safe for infants". so they don't know what is safe but won't do a recall and they don't want us to overreact and stop feeding formula that may have trace amounts. what if the trace amounts aren't safe? i will be interested in seeing how this all unfolds.
  • Options
    that is scary.  i certainly hope they take the right steps to correct it and do a recall as necessary.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

OK maybe it is just me but why do I get the feeling the FDA is controlled by large companies rather than by the need to protect the health of the American population.

• Options
    i get that same feeling as well... it's not just you...
  • Options

imagedesmaandjon:
    i just saw this. a friend forwarded it to me. i found the following quote interesting "[The FDA is ] unable to identify any melamine exposure level as safe for infants". so they don't know what is safe but won't do a recall and they don't want us to overreact and stop feeding formula that may have trace amounts. what if the trace amounts aren't safe? i will be interested in seeing how this all unfolds.

My guess is they think more harm will be done by feeding babies powdered milk or some of the other "homemade" variations.  Ideally, no exposure is the expected and wanted result.  But I don't think  "[The FDA is ] unable to identify any melamine exposure level as safe for infants," is equivalent to any exposure to melanine is harmful (not saying that's what you're implying, either, Desma.)  They can't exactly "test" to see what levels are safe.  So they have to base the decision on what to do right now on what they do know--homemade variations of formula are severely lacking in nutrition, and there is no evidence that such trace amounts will do damage.  For Moms without another option (i.e, no BM left), you tell them "no formula" and they're either going to go to milk or these alternates.

In all fairness, though, I think I'd be freaking out if Mar was still on formula, so I understand the concerns and fear.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"