Austin Babies
Options

My plea: Please learn from our mistake!!

Moms and moms-to-be, please learn from our mistake.  Never underestimate the mobility of your child.  DH had her up on the changing table and went to put a diaper in the Diaper Champ (which is right next to her changing table) - the diaper got stuck, so he was messing with that. Meanwhile, DD rolled right off the table.  Even though DH was standing right there, he couldn't catch her in time, and his body wasn't to where he could totally block her from rolling off.  I don't care if your child is 6 days, 6 weeks or 6 months old - never turn your back, not even if it's for a split second.  It only takes a fraction of a second for a bad accident to happen. 

I just feel so bad that this had to happen to our baby girl.  Every time I look at her my heart aches for her.  Even though she has been in great spirits, I can't help but feel so sorry for her.  And DH feels absolutely terrible.  I told him that it easily could have happened when I had her too.  But just make sure that anyone who has your baby in their care - that they hear this story and tell them never to ever turn their back.  Sad

Insurance update:  I called and activated our COBRA.  It is retroactive from Oct 1 thru December 31.  DH's new insurance kicks in on January 1.  So, we are good to go.  It will cost us about $1,150.00 to activate it  - but that's better than the thousands of $$ that will be billed to us from the doctors, X-rays and all of the labwork, not to mention the Orthopedic doctor visits, too. So, we feel a lot better about it (from a money aspect) now. 

Re: My plea: Please learn from our mistake!!

• Options
    That is great news about the insurance!  It never fails that in that short period when you're not covered, something like this happens...  At least now it's one less worry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Awesome! I hope christmas is back on :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Great news about the insurance!  Little Avery will be ok and heal quickly.  These little ones bounce back fast!  Don't beat yourself up.  It really could have happened to any of us. 
  • Options

First:  YEAH!  For the insurance covering things.  That is awesome news. 

I felt the same way every time I looked at Caroline crying and holding her head when she fractured her skull.  (That was from me putting her on the counter in a BeBe Pod and then bending down to catch something ... she pushed herself off the counter in that split second.) 

I think the moral of the story is that it can happen to anyone at anytime.  I really felt for your DH in your original post b/c my DD falling was my fault.  You have no idea the guilt you instill on yourself when you're the one that was in charge of their care and an accident happens.  It took me months to stop blaming myself (and who am I kidding...I still blame myself).  But it really can happen to anyone, at anytime, in any number of situations. 

I think we all do our best to watch them every single second.  But sometimes life conditions throw something in the mix that you never imagine.  I'm so sorry Avery had an accident!  But I hope your DH can forgive himself, and I hope you're not blaming yourself for allowing him to watch her or anything.  You're both great parents and are doing a great job!

• Options
    That's a great reminder...I'm so sorry for Avery though. But glad she's in good spirits! Great news about insurance, too - whew!
  • Options

That may be the BEST $1,150 you've ever spent. Kudos for thinking of that, I don't know that I would have.

DITTO a MILLION TIMES on what you've said. People always say "I didn't know they could _____" They can't. Until one day they can. Stock your baby area so as to never have to leave. If you have to leave to get a supply, take em with you. Getting peed on is nothing. It cleans up faster than a 6 hour trip to the ER =(. One hand on baby at all times. All times. I also definitely agree with making sure this is one of those things ALL caregivers know, like placing baby to back to sleep.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear that you got the Cobra set up.  My heart hurts for her too, just hearing the story today.  Hope she heals quickly and gets back to crawling in good time.
  • Options

Yay for working out insurance.

I have to say thanks for your post. I felt bad drilling holes in the back of her dresser to anchor the changing pad down but your story makes me feel much better about that. It is only furniture!

Hugs to you and baby!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"