Pregnant after 35
Options

What would you do if you were me?

I was pregnant this past year and my NT scan came back off the charts high. We did an amnio and, sadly, the baby had Downs and other medical issues. We decided to terminate the prgnancy at 17 weeks.

Now I'm pregnant again and I'm faced with options. What would you do if you were me:

1.) Because of my history and age, do the CVS testing which is done between 10-12 weeks. (before the NT scan and bloodwork)

2.) Do the NT scan and bloodwork at 12 weeks and if the results are abnormal, get the amnio around 16 weeks. Actually, I'd probably get an amnio regardless of what the results are.

Re: What would you do if you were me?

• Options
    I'd ask this question to your doctor.  It seems to me that with your risk factors it makes sense to just do the Amnio again since it's the most conclusive.  But that's just me.
  • Options

I'm so sorry for you for what happened before Left Hug.  I had a scare with Down, but fortunately it was just a scare, but I've had to work through the feelings of what would I do, definitely, and that's a really hard place to go.   

I'm scared of CVS testing because of snwfield's experience.  I'd probably be inclined to do the amnio as soon as they'd allow it because I'd just have to *know* and as pp said, it's the only thing that's conclusive. Not sure if my answer helps.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd skip the NT scan and bloodwork and go straight for the amnio as soon as they'd allow it.  Good luck!!  I'm sending very good and healthy baby thoughts your way!
  • Options

imageljlkm:
    I'd skip the NT scan and bloodwork and go straight for the amnio as soon as they'd allow it.  Good luck!!  I'm sending very good and healthy baby thoughts your way!

You can't do an amnio earlier than 16 weeks, so you might as well have the NT scan at 12 weeks. The sucky part is the waiting. You know, if you get abnormal results back from the NT scan, it's too late for the CVS testing. So you have to wait an agonizing 3-4 weeks for the amnio.

You can do the CVS testing a lot earlier though. For some reason, I'm just wary of the CVS testing.

• Options
    If you'd get the amnio regardless of the results of the NT Scan, then why bother with the NT scan.  It might just worry you for nothing.  I think that's what the PP was saying, to just skip it and do the Amnio.  Seems to me you have good reason to be wary of the CVS. 
  • Options

imageshwayd:
    If you'd get the amnio regardless of the results of the NT Scan, then why bother with the NT scan.  It might just worry you for nothing.  I think that's what the PP was saying, to just skip it and do the Amnio.  Seems to me you have good reason to be wary of the CVS. 

Eh, I'm a tester. I need to know ahead of time to brace myself for the worst.

• Options
    I can understand that.  I'll be honest, I'm not sure which route I'll go.  If I take my own advice I should just wait and do the Amnio, but my curiosity will get the best of me and I'll probably do the NT Scan.  GL!
  • Options
    I agree with previous posters... I would do the Amnio as soon as possible.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageshwayd:

That is what I was thinking.  If you're going to get the amnio anyway, then the results of the bloodwork would be at best mildly reassuring and at worst several weeks of torture.  I'd skip the torture and go for the certainty. 

I'm sure everything's going to be ok!  GL! 

• Options

i have no idea what i'd do... I suppose it would only truly matter if you think you would terminate again - and for DH and I we (for now) believe we wouldn't do that.... but I do not fault anyone who does.

It's a hard decision- I wish you the best in your decision- and the results!! Prayers!!

• Options
    I'd probably go with option 2.  I wouldn't want to take the higher risk with CVS unless there was reason to do so (i.e. a continued history of chromosomal problems).

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

i have no idea what i'd do... I suppose it would only truly matter if you think you would terminate again - and for DH and I we (for now) believe we wouldn't do that.... but I do not fault anyone who does.

It's a hard decision- I wish you the best in your decision- and the results!! Prayers!!

I was adamant during the NT testing that I would not terminate. Absolutely 100% totally and completely convinced that the NT testing was a waste of time. But when the results came back and it's real, it changes everything. Especially when you have another child to consider. Saying things like "I wouldn't do that" is naive and condescending.

• Options

I am in the same boat as Goldie...I have no idea what we would do if we found out something was wrong.  I have decided (DH left it up to me) to do the bloodwork and scan first and go from there.  Thanks for posting the question.  It is a difficult topic to talk about but something I have been thinking about.

• Options

I would do the CVS test (if you have a place that specializes in the procedure and can give you that center's rates for m/c after the procedure.)  I did mine at exactly 13 weeks and got the results back 3 days later and conclusive results 7 days later.  

If you don't feel good about the CVS I would do the NT scan.

Sending good luck your way. 

• Options
    imageBluesmoothee:
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

ISaying things like "I wouldn't do that" is naive and condescending.

I don't think she was saying she wouldn't -- she just said for now she and her husband don't think they would.  Like you said circumstances change everything, including a friend who swore she wouldn't and like you, discovered that her baby had DS, 1/2 her brain and a host of other issues.  She also terminated at 17wks.  Needless to say, from that point on, I have to admit I don't know what I would do if faced with a similar situation and like you, another child to consider.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    That's a really tough situation. I can honestly say, I'm not sure what I'd do if I were in your shoes. You will do what's right for you and your family. 
  • Options

imageljlkm:

Ditto this.  The NT scan will not tell your anything at all.  It won't give any definitive results, so why bother?  If I were you, I'd have the amnio.

• Options

Bluesmoothie,

I just had some genetic counseling with my nt, still waiting on full results...

But at the perinatologist they are able to do a new "early" amnio at 13 weeks. ?I think the mc rate is slightly higher, but you may want to think about that. ?They offered it to me, in the case that my nuchal comes back high.

?Good luck.?

• Options
    Just did a little research, does seem that there is more risk of clubfoot and other foot deformities with the early amnio as opposed to one at 15+ weeks.
  • Options
    I personally think I would go for option #2 
  • Options
    I'd go 1st tri bloodwork with neuchal and then amnio.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"