Working Moms
Options

one sad reality to face as a working mom

I found out yesterday that one of my colleagues, who has less experience in the industry, less time out of law school, and less time with the company is getting the promotion I hoped for.  I'm upset not because I think he doesn't deserve it, but because I'm not confident he deserves it more than myself or the other working mom in the group.  I questioned my boss about it, and he said that he felt this person showed more initative--on projects I MYSELF volunteered for the week I returned from maternity leave. When transitioning back, I even worked many of the days I was scheduled to be off to remain involved in things.

It's pretty clear my boss "groomed" this other person for the promotion, and even though I tend NOT to think this way generally, I have to wonder whether my being 1.  female and 2. a mother who does just as much work, just as well (but spends less face time) has something to do with it.  Sorry to sound "sour grapes-ish," it's just really unfortunate that so often, companies do not appropriately recognize working mothers--and women, in general.  (I know I'm not the first to reach this conclusion).  Ugh...

Re: one sad reality to face as a working mom

• Options
    That's unfortunate and I'm sorry you're feeling that way.  Hopefully this person will do an awesome job and you will feel confident in your boss' decision and something else will come along for you as well!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That stinks!!!  I've seen that happen here too and I hate it.  And yeah, I wouldn't put it out of the realm of reason that you have been mommy-tracked.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's so frustrating! I'm so sorry. While you never know exactly all of the reasons behind decisions that are made, the sad reality is that the mommy-tracking that pesky mentioned is still out there. Which is so crazy. Keep up the hard work and hopefully they'll recognize your efforts soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageSarahFin:
    That's unfortunate and I'm sorry you're feeling that way.  Hopefully this person will do an awesome job and you will feel confident in your boss' decision and something else will come along for you as well!

Hmmm...not quite what I was thinking ; )  Something similar- but backwards- happened to my husband.  He was blatantly passed over for a promotion for someone with less experience and less time w/ the company and eventually the person burnt out quickly and left and guess who then finally got the promotion?  my husband.  Good luck.  I think it sucks that this is happening to you.  I think it may not hurt to brush up the old resume to start looking elsewhere (yes, I know the economy sucks and jobs are scarce.)

• Options
    I was mommy-tracked at my last job so I left.  It's sad that it happens!  But I will tell you that finding a new job was the best decision I ever made, both for my career and my family life.
  • Options

That really sucks, I'm so sorry.  I feel like I'm treated differently because I'm a young working mom too.  I haven't been passed up for a promotion or anything like that, but I'm just treated differently.  I hate it, but not enough to quit in this economy! 

Just keep your head up and continue doing a great job and your time will come :)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree with you - it's unfortunate but I think that not every boss is like that so hopefully it won't happen every time.  Just keep working hard and hopefully the next one is yours.
  • Options
    It's happened to me here at my job. I'm the only manager in my dept with a young child and it's clear that it affects the work and treatment I'm given. 
  • Options
    I'm very sorry.  That is incredibly frustrating!  The legal profession is tough too ... I experienced some similar things in private practice.  Hang in there, though.  If this organization isn't right for you/isn't going to value you, keep your eyes peeled for other opportunities.  There are better legal employers out there.  Good luck!
  • Options

Happens in my field (finance) all the time. It is so obvious. I haven't had it happen to me but it is so "old boys club" or whatever you call it. I just hang in there and do an even better job.

By the same token, SOME of the moms I work with are the ones who get their kids every time they are sick at daycare, etc. Others, like my DH and I split the time and take turns with staying home with the sicky but it is still tough when I have to reschedule a meeting because DD has the flu and DH has clients in town. My child comes first, but having young kids is tough on a man or a woman career wise, depending on who is one who has to leave more often. I have a very understanding company but many of the men I work with have wives who stay at home so I can't really compete with that, even though my DH helps with DD just as much.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"