Stay at Home Moms
Options

cheap recipes for dinner

anyone have any cheap dinner recipes something somewhat healthy the thing with cheap is that it's not always healthy :(
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: cheap recipes for dinner

• Options

chicken breast w/salt & pepper...pour a can of diced tomatoes (including juice) on top...sprinkle with fresh parm.  bake at 350 for 25/30 minutes.

i also buy fish on sale and mkae that as much as i can.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I try to buy the "healthy" alternative to the cheap meals I make.  For instance, I buy whole grain pasta for speghetti.  We buy ground turkey (actually cheaper at Walmart than beef).  We eat lots of chicken breasts and buy lots when on sale.  We made a chicken one week and had like 3 meals from it (chicken quasadillas, chicken on salad, and some chicken casserole).  I do alot of experimenting cooking with what I have and it is pretty much always pretty tasty.  Just try to buy the low fat or better for you option of the stuff you get. 

Sorry, I know that really didn't answer your question but the advice kinda fit in your post :)

• Options

I find that doing vegetarian dishes are a lot cheaper than using meat.  Not that we're vegetarians by any stretch of the imagination.  One of my go-to meals is Pasta with Sweet Potatoes.  I'll roast some sweet potatoes, mash them up, and then put them on top of penne or rigatoni with some parmesan cheese.  Sounds odd, but it's really good.  Another staple here is spaghetti with fried eggs on top, because we always have eggs and spaghetti on hand. I also do pasta carbonara if we have bacon or pancetta in the fridge; again, just eggs, pasta, and bacon (or pancetta, or prosciutto if i have it on hand). 

I'd also recommend going to the library and looking for some slow-cooker cookbooks, because you can buy cheaper cuts of meat and stick them in the slow cooker all day and they'll turn out wonderful. And then just serve them with rice or something like that.  

• Options

This is super-cheap, fairly healthy and makes a TON.  It's also really yummy.  We have this a lot, especially in the winter.

Miller Bean Soup

3 cans Great Northern Beans (drained)

1 can condensed Bean w/Bacon Soup

1 can yellow corn (drained)

1 can hominy (drained)

1 can Rotel

2 cups chicken stock (or water)

1 can stewed tomatoes

2 bay leaves

1 T dried cilantro (I have also used fresh)

1 t. ground cumin

Combine on stovetop or in crock pot.  Heat thoroughly.  Top w/shredded cheese if desired.  

• Options

My favorite thing to do is add in frozen mixed veggies with anything and it makes it healthier. I also buy all my protein in bulk at Sam's. Some of my go to meals are:

Zatarain's Dirty Rice Mix (just add ground meat--and of course, mixed frozen veggies)

Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie (again add ground meat and frozen veggies)

Frozen Salmon from Sam's with broccoli and rice or sweet potato fries

Chicken Stir Fry ( you can buy packages of frozen mixed veg at Sam's)

Quiche

Baked Ziti and I put in canned carrots and the kids don't even see them (or really taste them since they are so soft)

French toast with fruit

• Options
    Buy a bag of beef ravioli (I buy the WalMArt brand which is less than $3), buy a can of spaghetti sauce (Hunt's is $1) and a jar of ricotta cheese. Layer frozen ravioli, cheese and sauce. Bake for 30 min at 350. It makes like a fake lasagna casserole and is so fast, easy , good and cheap. Now if you wanna get fancy you can add parmesan to your ricotta and shredded mozzerella on top and/or a layer of pepperoni.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"