Secondary IF
Options

Do you have a "stopping" point?

We have been TTC#2 for almost a year and a half now... and have had 3 losses along the way. There are some days that I really think that I don't have it in me to keep doing this. But then there are other days that I look at DD and think, "how could I not do this again?!" some days I want it more for her than I do for us. I have PCOS so chances of having a baby without treatment is pretty slim for me...

Do you have a stopping point? Have you thought about when you would stop trying?

Re: Do you have a "stopping" point?

• Options

I'm interested to hear the answers to this.

Sorry about your losses.  We concieved DS through IVF due to elevated FSH....it was a miracle that we concieved at all (we had a m/c as well before our IVF), so I know it would be pushing it to try again.  My ob suggested we put a limit on it...like two more IVFs and if it doesn't work, consider stopping treatment then.

It is so hard and it sucks that IF takes our options for future children away from us, KWIM?

Good luck to you,

Mary

• Options

We are stopping after this FET. We can't get pg without IVF and we don't have the money for another fresh cycle since we are completely oop for IVF.

Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't think I have a stopping point. I just look at DS as you are looking at your daughter and hoping he will have a sibling. I know that we will have to have one though because we too are out of pocket.

I think I will have to do 3 or so IUIs and then an FET. I am too afraid to try the FET too soon though.

• Options

I don't really know. After 2 recent losses, I find myself wondering: how much more of this can I take? We will be OOP for any fertility treatments past Clomid, but I think right now we're hoping for the best, and crossing that bridge when we come to it. I think my limit has more to do with years, and how apart my children will be. I think I would consider adoption if the gap was getting too big (like 7+ yrs) and we're weren't having luck with treatments.

• Options

No I don't have a stopping point until I have to start methotrexate for my disease (which makes childbearing impossible).  But I do seriously believe in taking 2 or 3 months off for mental sanity breaks! 

I am so sorry you have gone through so much so fast.  If you do take a break, it doesn't mean you are giving up, just resting your body and spirit.  If you do choose to give up as well I don't blame you and there is no shame in that either.  I can't imagine 2 m/c in a row.  ((HUGS))

I always say pray and look to the Lord, you will know the answer.

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Options

Once I decide to do something I am a little Type A about it and have a really hard time giving up until I've gotten what I set out to get.  So, for me, my stopping point was always once I'd tried everything we possibly could to get pregnant again.  Luckily for us, my insurance started covering IVF.  Had that not worked that would have been our stopping point except to keep trying naturally.

I would like to have another child and the husband and I are trying to work out a stopping point for that journey.  My insurance is back to no IVF coverage so that won't really be an option for us.  We do plan on doing a FET and I may switch to insurance which would give us three IUIs.  Getting the money for the FET will be hard enough so I know if those things don't work we'll be done.

My answer would possibly be different had we experienced losses.  I had a possible chemical pregnancy and found that difficult so I can't even begin to imagine repeated losses later on.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    We originally said we were going to do the FET, but not do a fresh cycle again.  Well, the FET didn't work, and there's no way I'm done trying!  So, we'll see!
  • Options
    Not currently.  We will try everything, and adoption is a definite option, but not in the near future.
  • Options

I dont think we have a stopping point yet either. We are just starting some testing after 3 losses this year, but my desire for another baby outweighes my fear of another m/c.

I guess until my doc tells us differently we are just gonna keep going.

• Options

I think we do...

We did IVF for DD, and after having done IVF, we can add poor responder and poor egg quality to the list, so our chances even with IVF are quite slim (DD really was quite the miracle...she was our only decent surviving embryo). We don't plan on doing IVF again because we are OOP and we just can't justify gambling that much for such a slim, slim chance. 

If we don't get PG on our own before I turn 35 (I'm 33), I'll likely be getting a hysterectomy about that time (I have endo and it's the only way left I can control the pain) so our options will be totally gone.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have no coverage for IVF and I think we'd stop short of that for sure.  I feel guilty spending so much money for fertility treatments when it could go into DS's college fund, for instance.   Other than that, we haven't drawn a line in the sand.  We probably will at some point, but I don't know where it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"