Babies: 6 - 9 Months

When should crawling start?

Sorry if this has been covered, but when should crawling start? My son hasn't started yet (only backwards a little) and I'm wondering when other babies typically start.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When should crawling start?

• Crawling is kind of tricky one because some kids never crawl, at least not in the traditional sense.  I think the expectation is that they have some sort of mobility around 9 months.  But I could be remembering wrong...
  • My DS is over 8 months and just started getting up on his hands and knees and rocking. I'm not worried. All babies develop at their own speed. If your concerned it wouldn't hurt to ask your pedi.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Typically 8 months (it can happen earlier or later), but some babies skip the crawling stage altogether.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My daughter didn't crawl off the ground until probably 14 or 15 months...and she didn't walk until 20 months.

HOWEVER, by 9 months, she was a professional roller and used that to get around (quickly and with amazing precision). She was doing commando at maybe 11 months.

Some kids never crawl, some crawl at 6 months, some at 15 months...like PP said, I have read that the important thing is that they show incentive to move around and explore (whether rolling, commando, or crawling) by about 9 months -- this is more a cognitive thing than a gross motor thing.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My son is 7 months and just started low crawling or army crawling about a week ago. but he'll get up on his hands & knee's and rock back & forth. He'll take a few crawls on all 4's, but typically it's just him using his elbows and belly :) 
  • I'd say some sort of getting around between 6 and 10 months.  And not all kids actually crawl.

my LO started crawling at 7 months, my friend's kid is 9 months and just started army crawling but not even close to crawling on hands and knees.

• +MeganS+ said:

My DS is over 8 months and just started getting up on his hands and knees and rocking. I'm not worried. All babies develop at their own speed. If your concerned it wouldn't hurt to ask your pedi.

All of this! (except I have a DD)
  • LSU628LSU628 member
    My DD didn't crawl till almost 10 mo. DS has been up on all 4's rocking for about 2 weeks now. He occasionally army crawls but still prefers rolling as his main mode for transportation.
    imageimage
  • Thanks all! This makes me feel better. He can get up on all fours and he can move about with rolls and army crawls. I guess I was just really thinking about my nephew who started walking at 9 months, but every baby is different.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • E started crawling really well on her 7month birthday. 

• It's not really a milestone. My cousin's baby never crawled, and now is walking just fine. If your baby does crawl, probably sometime between 6-9 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog
  • My LO army crawls. Shes 7 months. It just happened a couple weeks ago. Its like she wont do anything for a couple days and then she follows me to the kitchen lol

Anniversary
  • Everyone is right, it is different for each baby. Mine was a late roller, started a week after 5 months, then with within 2 weeks he was rollling all over and now at 23 weeks is up on his hands and knees rocking along with going backwards and army crawling so who knows!

photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg
  • My son mastered crawling at 6 months.  My baby cousin didn't start crawling until she was just about a year.  It varies.  I think that if they aren't some kind of mobile by about a year or so...that's when the pediatrician will become concerned.  I think that's what I've read.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My son was an expert crawler at like 6 months. He pulled up and walked around furniture shortly after. He waited until 13 months to walk. My daughter has been army crawling for almost 3 months. She used to get on her knees and rock but doesn't even bother anymore. She's really fast at the army crawl. She can walk around furniture and climb over almost everything, but still not crawling. I'm starting to think she never will (which is kind of annoying because she's getting the belly of all her clothes all dirty LOL). I've had friends who's kids didn't crawl until like 10 months and then they walked shortly after. Pretty much everything is normal.

• DD1 started crawling at 10 months and even then it wasn't a traditional crawl. It was more like a very fast scoot. DD2 is 8 months and just started crawling. There is a very wide range of normal when it comes to crawling and even walking.
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"