C-sections

When were you "unplugged"?

After your c/s, how long was it before they "unplugged" you from everything? Catheter? Monitors? Those leg things?

With Mimi, it was my first c/s and I didn't know that I could get up "early" so I waited almost 24 hours. With LJ, the nurse was not being cooperative and wouldn't unhook everything until I yelled at her at like 4am (18 hours pp). I know you can get up sooner than that, especially if you are feeling up to it, which I want to do. 

Pinky 12/07 : Sparky 02/12 : Rocky 08/13 

Re: When were you "unplugged"?

• I had my C/S around 7 pm, probably closed up and in recovery around 8 pm.  The nurse came in to get me up and walking around at 4 am, so 8 hours after.  It sucked, I was really tired and dizzy and I didn't think I was going to make it the short distance from the bed to the bathroom, but the nurse was really insistent that I must get up and walk.  I tried to get up and walk around as much as I could after that.  After a day or so, I decided to take a walk to the first floor lobby to get a snack from the vending machine.  Everything was fine, until I realized I couldn't bend over to get the snack out of the vending machine.  Fortunately there was a little girl there with her dad and she helped me.  
  • My son was born at 11:22 am.  I spent that entire day in bed and had a clear liquid dinner.  They got me up the following morning.  
  • Loading the player...
  • It was 24 hours for me but that was because I was on mag and antibiotics.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It was about 12 hours both times.  And it wasn't up to me, the nurses *made* me get out of bed that soon (which was fine, but I certainly didn't have to ask).
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I don't remember for the epidurals but the catheter was taken out after about 24 hours with the first 2. Unfortunately, I'm delivering at the hospital my mom works at, and she'll insist I'm up at 12 hours. I'd be fine with 24, getting up the first time hurts like hell.

Mommy to DS#1 7/1/04 and DS#2 6/15/07
    M/C 2/16/10 at 9wks 5 days~ D&C 2/18/10
    BFP#4 5/17/11 C/P.    
    BFP#5 11/30/12 Surprise! DS#3 born 7/29/13

• imagejutimala:

After your c/s, how long was it before they "unplugged" you from everything? Catheter? Monitors? Those leg things?

Umm... I was a spinal block. I do not know if this makes a difference than an Epi. My first was an EPI 6 years ago but I was a seizure risk, so they did not want me walking at all for several days.

With the spinal blocks, they all were trying to get me walking within 10 hours of the surgery. Once I was up they took the leg things off. They offered the catheter, but I told them I wanted to keep it the first night. They are pumping you with so  much liquid that I would rather not have to get up several times a night the first night after a Csection. So I had them take it out the next morning.

They kept me on the monitors at least the first day, maybe 2. Don't they just have the finger one and the arm cuff? I think the finger one was just the first day. IV stayed in till I left.
    DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
  • aandgaandg member
    My hospital makes you wait 24 hours. 
    BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My first was born at 3:23pm and I was able to be unhooked around 10:00 am the next day, but they ended up having to put the catheter back in because I just couldn't go & my bladder was huge! Ouch!

My second (different & better hospital) was born at 12:45pm and I was up walking around and getting a shower in around 9:00am the next day! Ahhh that shower felt like heaven! 

• babykkbabykk member
    My surgery was at 7:30 am. Up from bed walking around 8:00 pm, catheter out by 9:00 pm. The oxygen sensor and leg things were off by 8 am the next day and my IV was out by 10 am the next day. It felt so great to be unplugged!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My hospital requires you stay in bed for at least 10 hours after csection, I was counting down the hours because DS was in the NICU and I wanted to see him, the nurse kept blowing me off when I asked to get the ball rolling, finally got up about 16 hours after birth. Honestly didn't feel much pain at all but I think it;s because my focus was on seeing DS asap..
    nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My hospital made me wait 24 hours. However, they made me get up after about 8 hours. I hated the catheter, it hurt.
  • My c/s was at 3pm.  I got to my post-partum room at 8 pm (some issues in recovery room and shift change delayed things).  The catheter was removed by the day shift nurse in the morning; she was surprised I still had it, but the night nurse had never mentioned taking it out.  It was my first c/s, so I didn't really know what to expect.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • I had my daughter at 8:30a and was up in the evening to change my dressing. They kept the catheter in for 24 hrs so the next morning once that was out I got up and walked. Because of this we were able to go home after 2 nights instead of 3.
  • 12 hours for me for the leg things and catheter, which was awesome because it meant it was at about 2:30 in the morning and LO was sleeping then.  I just wanted to sleep too! 
  • The nurse came to make me walk about 5 hours after the c-section. They waited until I could feel my legs and was able to lift my butt up. The first couple walks I still had the catheter. They removed the catheter after 24hours and took the compression boots off then since I could get up on my own once the catheter was out.
  • KMB611KMB611 member
    Maelara said:
    My hospital made me wait 24 hours. However, they made me get up after about 8 hours. I hated the catheter, it hurt.
    Honestly, one of my biggest fears is getting a catheter. My grandma said that you don't feel it, but I've heard someone else say that you do.
  • KMB611 said:
    Maelara said:
    My hospital made me wait 24 hours. However, they made me get up after about 8 hours. I hated the catheter, it hurt.
    Honestly, one of my biggest fears is getting a catheter. My grandma said that you don't feel it, but I've heard someone else say that you do.

The nurses were very nice and made sure I was numb before they put the catheter in. I also made sure that I had taken my meds and they were in full affect before they took it out!

Pinky 12/07 : Sparky 02/12 : Rocky 08/13 

• KMB611 said:
    Maelara said:

That was my fear too... Not the spinal or the actual surgery but the catheter. Crazy, I know. I knew they were putting it in but it was after the spinal so I couldn't feel anything. When they had to take it out, it was quick and painless.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

DD: 10/23/2012

#teamzoey #defeatdipg #pumpkinpatch2012

• gladygirlcagladygirlca member
    edited August 2013
    I think it was 48 hours?  I remember being tethered to all kinds of things for about 2 days.  Getting the cath out was nerve wracking and relieving.  (No pun intended.)  I was just happy it wasn't uncomfortable.  I'm also glad to hear that they tend to put them in after the spinal.  Catheters are just...blech.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was unhooked from epi by probably 9-10 hours and cath as soon as the epi wore off and I could show the nurse I could walk to the bathroom. I think they would have left it longer but I hadn't held my son yet (in the NICU) so I asked to have it all removed early and a dr approved it. 
    I didn't feel the cath go in at all- they did it after I was numb, I didn't notice it. Getting it out sucked though, but I don't think it does for most women. 
    I was glad I got everything out early, I preferred walking around.

• I was hooked up to the IV for about 12 hours...however, I was up and walking 4 hours after surgery by my own choice. Since I was able to "prove" I could walk to the bathroom, they unhooked me from everything. It was wonderful. Walking early definitely sped up the healing process and even though it was initially painful, I was off all the pain meds by the second day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • With my second c, I had him at 828 in the morning and had to be up later that night. I can't remember exactly when.
    BFP 11/20/2012. Missed MC on 12/26/2012.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • 12 hrs after surgery they took out my catheter, and took off my SCD boots. Once I had peed at least twice they took out my IV.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"