Food Allergy

Will my baby inherit my allergies?!

So... I'm 17 weeks pregnant and I'm starting to look beyond the newborn. That's when I realized that every dang baby food has peas in it!!! I almost died last time a pea came near my face, I'm scared that I will A) pass this allergy on, or B) NOT pass it, and could endanger myself if the baby comes in contact with foods I'm allergic to then touches me. Any insights? 

Re: Will my baby inherit my allergies?!

• My understanding is that if a parent has allergies of any kind, they're children are more likely to also have allergies of some type. But they may have allergies to completely different things. But there's really no way to predict these things.

Do you carry EpiPens for your allergy? It sure sounds like you should! If you're worried about cross contamination with jarred baby food, you can always make it yourself. The site www.wholesomebabyfood.com has great tips and recipes. You can make large batches and freeze it in ice cube trays. I made most of DD1's purees. I just baked/steamed the food and pureed it in our blender. You don't need those pricey baby food blenders. ;]
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Well. That's depressing! I've got a laundry list of allergies! But my husband has none.. Maybe we will get lucky :). I've got several epi pens. I carry one with me at all times. I am considering making my own food, it seems like I can control what's in it and it looks less expensive in the long run. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have no allergies, but I have intolerance to many of the foods that DS is allergic to.  It sucks. 
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • You very well might luck out and have kiddos who don't have allergies. Here's hoping! :] I don't have allergies, but my hubby has allergies to some grasses. So we were surprised our LO's have food allergies.

My BFF is very allergic to strawberries, but her LO's are not. To be safe, they avoided them for the first few years. Then they had them try them at the dr's office in case they had a reaction.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Genetics are only one part of it. My Hubby & I have no food allergies but my LO is allergic to milk, soy, oat, tree nuts, peanuts, coconut & mustard.

Always carry your epi-pen and liquid benadryl.  Safety for both of you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"