Baby Showers
Options

NBSR: Guests of guests at wedding vent

I knew that guests were bad about weddings, but I didn't realize the extent until we sent out our wedding invitations this past week.

My mom: I've posted before that we're not close.  Now that invites have gone out, she asked who was on the guest list.  Once I rattled off everyone (there's only about 35 people invited, so it wasn't hard), she replied with, "Oh, I guess I have to stop telling people about it if you're not going to invite them."  I have no idea who she told that they could come, but I agreed that that not doing that sounded like a good idea.

My sister:  There's a large age gap between us (16 years), so her friends were old enough to baby sit me as a baby, but my family moved away when I was 8 after she was out of the house.  So, it's been ~24 years since I've seen them. She thinks that she should get invites for her friends too. Her sales pitch:  "I'm sure that they'd bring you a nice present."

I guess that I've never thought of a wedding as a social event where I would even consider bringing other people to. I just think that's weird.  I'm just waiting for the next bit of tackiness that comes from the two of them. Maybe I was adopted and don't really know it?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

Re: NBSR: Guests of guests at wedding vent

• Options

While not "right" - I can see where your mom might kind of be in "show off" mode.  KWIM?  But clearly she should have talked to you about your expectations, how big of a guest list and if she could invite people!

Your sister...??  WTF? 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    My Dad kept asking people, "Have you gotten your wedding invitation yet?"  My Mom standing there knowing they had not been on the invite list would smile and listen to them say, "No, not yet".  Then as soon as she had a chance she would call me and beg me to send them an invitation.  After the second time I finally told my Dad I love him, but he should stop asking people that or he was going to need to write the caterer a bigger check, lol.  
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    What drove me crazy were people who I didn't know (friends of parents) who wanted to bring extra people with them. I invited them as couples, but one person wanted to bring her four kids. I told my mom that was ok (kind of begrudgingly), paid for dinner for all of these extra people, and then she brought exactly none of her kids. Ugh. At that point I wish she would have brought them so the food wouldn't go to waste at least!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We paid for our wedding entirely ourselves. So, when it came to guest list, no one else had any say. That wasn't the plan but it did make it easier to deal with other's opinions on what we should or shouldn't do.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Options
    My MIL invited her HAIRDRESSER to my wedding.  She made a big fuss about how she couldn't un-invite her (we didn't have her on the list to begin with) because she had verbally told her it was OK.  We ended up rushing out an invite, she RSVPd she was attending, and then never showed.  I was really not happy with my MIL for a while after that.  
  • Options
    My dad and stepmom are helping a bit with the reception costs, but we're paying for the majority ourselves.  I don't think that either my mom or sister like that we opted for a small wedding, rather than going into debt to fund a larger party (my mom actually described our whole wedding as being weird, and didn't understand why I was offended).  But, yeah, I had no problem telling them that unless they're contributing, that I'm not going to sacrifice the people that are on our must-invite list for people that I haven't seen in 20+ years.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options

imagewittyschaffy:
    My MIL invited her HAIRDRESSER to my wedding.  She made a big fuss about how she couldn't un-invite her (we didn't have her on the list to begin with) because she had verbally told her it was OK.  We ended up rushing out an invite, she RSVPd she was attending, and then never showed.  I was really not happy with my MIL for a while after that.  

My SIL DEMANDED... and I mean DEMANDED that her husband's parents be invited to the wedding.  It was the biggest fight that my husband and I had during our wedding planning process and eventually I gave in and mailed them an invitation. They did the same thing-- RSVPed they were coming and then never showed. WTF? I was furious.  

Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Options
    imageMMason12:

imagewittyschaffy:

My SIL DEMANDED... and I mean DEMANDED that her husband's parents be invited to the wedding.  It was the biggest fight that my husband and I had during our wedding planning process and eventually I gave in and mailed them an invitation. They did the same thing-- RSVPed they were coming and then never showed. WTF? I was furious 

Yes, why is it always the rude add-ons that end up being no shows?!  We invited my mother's cousin and her husband to the wedding.  The cousin asked my mother if she could bring her adult daughter and teenaged granddaughter.  I said okay, just because my mother asked me to (even though DH and I were paying for everything.)  Of course the daughter and granddaughter didn't show.  Ugh! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"