June 2012 Moms

Possible food allergy WWYD

If your LO exhibits signs of a reaction to a food, are you supposed to follow-up with the pedi, set up allergy testing, or just hold off offering it until LO is older?

DS has had peanut butter several times before, but today we tried a new kind (organic and all-natural), and he wound up with red blotches on his face. After a small dose of Benadryl, he seemed to be fine. I don't want to write it off if it needs checking, but I also don't want to overreact.

Re: Possible food allergy WWYD

• We were told to call if he had a reaction to food. Allergies can be really dangerous, so you are not overreacting at all.

I wouldnt have batted an eyelash if you told me you took him to ER. Allergic reactions scare me to death. 

• It would depend on the reaction to the food. Red blotches or a hive, I'd probably offer Benadryl and email or call the pedi. And I definitely would not offer the food again until discussing it with the pedi. DS vomited on two different occasions after eating a fruit puree my mom made with different fruits in it. Pedi told us to hold off on offering the food until after his first birthday.

My stepson is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts, so that was one food I was concerned DS would be allergic to, but so far no problems.

• Loading the player...
  • SigirSigir member
    My older dd is allergic to peanut. The allergy manifested when she touched peanut and rubbed her eyes and they puffed up. I didn't think anything of it, thought it was more a reaction to the salt in the eyes, have Benedryl and then told the ped at the next well apt. They set up allergy testing and here we are.

Knowing what I know now I was lucky that she didn't encounter peanut again between that reaction and her well visit. If I could do it all over again I'd call right away, to be safe and do the allergy testing sooner than later. Peanut allergy is not something to mess around with.
  • I'm definitely calling the pedi in the morning. Thanks for the input, all!

• imageSigir:
    Peanut allergy is not something to mess around with.

This. 

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"